Question about "Ghosting"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedbassguy

Reaction score
Currently, I don't own any briar pipes. But I hope to someday soon.

I also only smoke Aromatics. And I like trying different blends. And I have read everywhere about ghosting.

However, I don't have a super refined pallet. Subtle flavorings are oft lost on me. Especially in pipe smoking.

When I DO end up with a briar, will me continually swapping blends severely affect my smoke? Or it it more of a subtle thing that I could possibly miss?

You won't know until you try. Your experience may well be different from the next guys. That's piping for ya.

I would certainly dedicate pipes for Aro's, Lat's, Lakelands and, anything else that isn't
in the way of Burley's or Virgina's including Vapers and Burper's.
Hope that made sense. :scratch:

Short answer-

Any Lakeland will ghost a pipe quicker than you can say Jack Frost!

Lat blends will also ghost, but unless you've smoked multiple bowls of this weed it should eventually yield to something more "Neutral".

Aros, good question. I don't smoke them. However I suspect they will also ghost like Lat with multiple bowls.

Also, any blend containing Deer Tongue will ghost a pipe worse than anything. I have experience with this!

Of course others will chime in with their experiences. In particular, monbla seems to smoke Lat blends and 'ginnys in the same pipes and not have any ghost issues.

My 2c FWIW..

Cheers,

RR

When I was first starting out and only had two or three pipes, I just smoked whatever in whichever pipe. Yes, there is some ghosting, but it's not that big a deal. As time goes on and you acquire more pipes, you may want to do as I and others do--dedicate pipes by "genre." The only pipes I have dedicated are to scented Lakelands, Latakia blends, and aromatics. I don't have the patience for anything more than that.

Brewdude":oaq0f7dq said:
Short answer-

Any Lakeland will ghost a pipe quicker than you can say Jack Frost!

Lat blends will also ghost, but unless you've smoked multiple bowls of this weed it should eventually yield to something more "Neutral".

Aros, good question. I don't smoke them. However I suspect they will also ghost like Lat with multiple bowls.

Also, any blend containing Deer Tongue will ghost a pipe worse than anything. I have experience with this!

Of course others will chime in with their experiences. In particular, monbla seems to smoke Lat blends and 'ginnys in the same pipes and not have any ghost issues.

My 2c FWIW..

Cheers,

RR
I've got pipes that I smoked 759 ,one of the heaviest Lat forward blends ever made, in for 30+ years and when it was not available anymore, switched to mostly Va's in them now and honestly have never found them "ghosted" from Latakia or Orientals. Now sugar based toppings as are used in many Aros as well as the "Lakeland" toppings would be a "horse of a different color" IMHO :twisted: :twisted: But I guess that's what Cobs are made for !! :twisted:

Why assume that ghosting is a bad thing?  Half the tobaccos you try you probably won't like all that much, even at their best.  I figure that 50% (just to pull a figure out of the air) of the tobaccos will be improved by a ghost.

Seriously, I would keep aromatics separate.  I'm smoking one now, Reiner's Professional, that I know would wreck my good pipes. I don't even want it near them, much less smoked in them.  Tastes nothing like tobacco, but it makes my car smell nicer after a summer of cigars.  A latakia or oriental ghost, as Monbla says above, isn't anything I would worry about at all.

SpeedyPete":2wrqsaos said:
What do you use for smoking tobacco if you don't have any briars :twisted:
Well you could smoke meers or clays :twisted: That's what they did BEFORE they had Briars :twisted: :twisted: Then theirs also the reliable Corn Cob :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":oclfoauc said:
SpeedyPete":oclfoauc said:
What do you use for smoking tobacco if you don't have any briars :twisted:
Well you could smoke meers or clays :twisted:  That's what they did BEFORE they had Briars :twisted: :twisted: Then theirs also the reliable Corn Cob :twisted: :twisted:
Okey, I'll buy that! But still........

I, too, was concerned about ghosting until I realized that everytrhing I smoke, I like...so no problem with ghosting.