Question about longer bits

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Purple Gorilla

Reaction score
Hello, I am wanting to get a 18 inch bit made for my Nording Churchwarden, and I don't know where to go to accomplish this goal...

I have always wanted a long stem, and love the bowl of this Nording, so why not combine the two?

Any suggestions, or should I just go to my lathe and turn a long piece of delrin myself?

Fred, delrin gets used for tenons inserted into stems of other materials to make a "two-piece" job, but a whole stem out of the stuff wouldn't work too well. Someone here might be able to link you to a source for an extra-long piece of acrylic, but you'd have to drill the draft hole just right in addition to turning it on a lathe...not sure how to accomplish that with an extra-long stem with the tools I assume are at your disposal.

I can make it work, I have very long drill rods, a huge lathe, all I need is the material, and a plan. but if someone else that has done it before can assist, that would be much appreciated...