Question about my pipe jar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christeaux

Reaction score
My wife just bought me a pipe jar, and while it is a nice jar there is no way for it to seal. It is a ceramic jar and the lid only sits on the top. Does any one have any ideas for forming a seal so that I can keep my tobacco fresh.

Try using some of those wide rubber bands around the part of the lid that goes down into the jar. Put one on, try it and if it needa another, add one on top of the first. Add as would be needed to make for a snug fit and it should work just fine. I had a large cut crystal jar my first wife gave me for a humidor and I had to do this to it's top/stopper. As I recall, it took three to "seal" it and I used it this way for years till her puppy knocked it off the table to the tile floor and it was a jar no more :p

Thanks for the advice doc, I think I will lift a few from work tomorrow and give it a try.

Buy a couple bunches of asparagus if you have to... those are the best rubberbands for projects like that. and if you eat the asparagus, it makes your pee smell funny.

Everyone took my so-called thunder on this matter. Rubber bands. Asparagus. Funny-smellin' pee.

Christeaux, I might add you likely could have a great shelf-sitter rather than a fantastic way to keep tobacco. I have a few humidors I kept some bulk Lane tobacco in and even with additional sealing/humidifying disc attempts still leaked out precious moisture and also let slip out the "essence" of the tobaccos too--kind of dulled a few Latakia blends after a month or so, and made some Burley mixes taste like sawdust.

If you seem to have trouble with keeping bacca in it after some improvising, consider it for tools, tampers, lighters, pipe cleaners or a host of other pipe-related stuff: that's what my humidors all get used for now. 8)

Kyle Weiss":n86cop3q said:
If you seem to have trouble with keeping bacca in it after some improvising, consider it for tools, tampers, lighters, pipe cleaners or a host of other pipe-related stuff: that's what my humidors all get used for now. 8)
That is what it is being used for right now, and instead of risking the most precious resource known to man, I think I'm going to keep my tobacco in the containers they are already in. Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it.

I have a small pipe rack (holds 4) with a Jar like that. This lid also has the Ceramic Disc in the lid - I guess for a makeshift humidifier.

Anyway, no luck with it either - no seal and stale tobacco.

What I did for a while is put an amount of tobacco in a Zip-Loc Freezer Bag (the good ones) and stuffed this inside the jar. Not ideal, but it did work.

These days, I use Kyle's method as well - lighters, pipe nails, cleaners, armed mouse trap, etc.

Kyle Weiss":v4knrqnn said:
Everyone took my so-called thunder on this matter. Rubber bands. Asparagus. Funny-smellin' pee.

Christeaux, I might add you likely could have a great shelf-sitter rather than a fantastic way to keep tobacco. I have a few humidors I kept some bulk Lane tobacco in and even with additional sealing/humidifying disc attempts still leaked out precious moisture and also let slip out the "essence" of the tobaccos too--kind of dulled a few Latakia blends after a month or so, and made some Burley mixes taste like sawdust.

That's why you need to smoke it all up in less than a month :p Smoke just one or two blends and you can do it :cheers: 'Coarse youcould just not fill it up also :p

monbla256":f0u9g6fz said:
That's why you need to smoke it all up in less than a month :p Smoke just one or two blends and you can do it :cheers: 'Coarse youcould just not fill it up also :p

Of course. I'll get right on that one, sir. :roll: :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":exdpi3fw said:
...you likely could have a great shelf-sitter rather than...
"Shelf-sitter" is not what I read my first time through. Thought Kyle was continuing the toilet humor there for a second. :p

The ceramic top you have pictured appears to have had a silicone gasket that slides into the groove that appears to be on the bottom half of the top. they were usually about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide and the id was about 1/2" less id than the od of the top. You can look on the net for silicone gaskets as they are still in use today in kithchen canister sets for coffee and such. Hope this post is not to confusing. MIKE
It's a little late but I hope the pictures help.

UberHuberMan":trsk4qj5 said:
Kyle Weiss":trsk4qj5 said:
:suspect: :suspect: :suspect:
C'mon now. I know my humor is dry, but don't make me explain that one. :p
I'm not thick-headed, you goof, I'm just amazed you went that route! :lol: 8)

...but I'm glad you did, christeaux is lookin' pretty darned serious in those pictures. Grrrr! Growl! Yarrr! :lol: :p

Kyle Weiss":ys10pg1q said:
UberHuberMan":ys10pg1q said:
Kyle Weiss":ys10pg1q said:
:suspect: :suspect: :suspect:
C'mon now. I know my humor is dry, but don't make me explain that one. :p
I'm not thick-headed, you goof, I'm just amazed you went that route! :lol: 8)

...but I'm glad you did, christeaux is lookin' pretty darned serious in those pictures. Grrrr! Growl! Yarrr! :lol: :p
I can't afford to smile, it causes too many wrinkles, and my face is how I make my money. 8)

christeaux":juy4xw9l said:
I can't afford to smile, it causes too many wrinkles, and my face is how I make my money. 8)
I bet. Every Halloween, costume models are in high demand... :p I kid, I kid. Seriously, though, we all had to do some shameful things in our youth to get by...clothed or otherwise...

...back to the subject at hand, those silicone gaskets may work just fine, but you're still faced with a problem. Those old humidors are intended for quite a bit of tobacco. I seem to recall old codgers saying how they work great when they're full to 3/4 full, but often will get dry and stale even with all the tricks in the book (humidor disks, etc) employed--and they're not good for long-term storage, so aging some FVF in them is probably not a good idea.

Just being devilishly advocatey or something. 8)

Kyle Weiss":hfoq5o6s said:
christeaux":hfoq5o6s said:
I bet. Every Halloween, costume models are in high demand... :p I kid, I kid. Seriously, though, we all had to do some shameful things in our youth to get by...clothed or otherwise...

...back to the subject at hand, those silicone gaskets may work just fine, but you're still faced with a problem. Those old humidors are intended for quite a bit of tobacco. I seem to recall old codgers saying how they work great when they're full to 3/4 full, but often will get dry and stale even with all the tricks in the book (humidor disks, etc) employed--and they're not good for long-term storage, so aging some FVF in them is probably not a good idea.

Just being devilishly advocatey or something. 8)
"... "I seem to recall old codgers..." hmmmmmmmm :p That notwithstanding :p you are correct as I try to keep around 4 to 8 oz in the bail-lid jar I keep my Royal blend in. But then I don't smoke as wide a variety of tobacco's as most Bobs do here :p

Yeah, no kidding. I feel overwhelmed if I have five or six tabaks in my rotation. Take today, by example, where I realized I hadn't hung out with my Pease Union Square in quite a while, and it was probably the most satisfying pipe I'd had in a while! :cheers: