Question about Peterson Finishes.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*camoham

Reaction score
i already know breaking in a standard stained Peterson lets of a lot of reddish brown stain while breaking in. outside finish still looks to be good though.

Now to the question..................

regarding the ebony finishes, do they bleed or do the black finish deteriorate on the outside? or do they break in with no probs.

thanks for anyone who has owned one with an ebony finish. ive been eye'in a system with ebony.

thanks

camoham

I bought a Pete Fermoy Canadian about a month ago. I saw right away that the top of the bowl showed some distress (like the finish burned away on the inside edge) from the lighter flame. I'd not not noticed this on any other pipe before. It's no big deal to me, the pipe smokes great and immediately became one of my favs.
I love the look. It makes me a handsome man when I smoke it. 8)

Camo,
Pete Stains are very solid, the questions is: is the pipe varnished!
Some of the guys have been complaining about the quality of new Pete's. No stains that I have seen bleed. They all are solid. I have worked on many Pete refirbs and one thing is that I am impressed with the stain work!
All should be well!
For your interest, go to the Pete Website and have a look "Making a pipe DVD" It is a 10min video of the Pete Factory.
You can see how they stain and buff bowls! a must see!

http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/makingapipe.html

Here is the link, Enjoy bro!

thanx piet,

im not complaining. the finish on my 314 standard system is great. no varnish! i occassionally put some wax on it.

i was more curious about the ebony finishes...............i dont doubt the quality. i was just seeing how other brethren have fared with them

camoham

*camoham":4yk4ml5r said:
thanx piet,

im not complaining. the finish on my 314 standard system is great. no varnish! i occassionally put some wax on it.

i was more curious about the ebony finishes...............i dont doubt the quality. i was just seeing how other brethren have fared with them

camoham
Camo, did you see the video link???
It explains everything!

yeah, i watched them before...................but i dont know if the 'ebony' finishes go through the same process? one would think so, but thinkin' usually gets me in trouble!

and yes falconer, i believe i would be even more interesting than 'the most interesting man in the world' (dos equis guy).

camoham

Camo, I am sure the ebony gets the same treatment. I have had some of them in the workshop and they seem just as solid!!!

My first pipe, from 2002, was an ebony finish 314. It was - & still is - a great smoker. The finish has never been a problem in any way. I have an ebony finish silver spigot that has also proved faultless.

"Usually" ebony finishes are done by applying a black lacquer or shellac in many coats. You cannot get briar "black" like that just by staining and waxing.

Like any pipe, if you drop it, you'll screw up the finish. So don't drop it.

One of the first things I learned in a real tobacconist's shop, in his explaining why some pipes are better than others, was that a good pipe should breathe. Cheap drugstore pipes were sealed with varnish and could not "breathe," in addition to the wood not being cured properly, i.e., full of sap like any other wood. I look askance at the Peterson ebony finish; surely this finish cannot be obtained without sealing the wood. And who knows what flaws lie concealed beneath the surface? I like Petes, but I think I'll take a pass on their "ebony" products.