Question: Carter Hall 14oz Plastic Tubs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks:

I recently purchased a tub of CH after trying a pouch with a cob and coffee. Wonderful stuff indeed!

However I was wondering about the plastic container as I have never purchased tobacco in one of these things before. Will it keep my tobacco fresh or should I move it into mason jars. Perhaps leaving half a tub for regular consumption?

I thank you in advance for your collective experience. :D

I find those tubs quite satisfactory for something you're going to use up in six months or so. Plus the OTCs are probably PGed-up anyhow, and take quite a bit of neglect to dry out. You're aware of the little hole in the rim of the lid, right? When you put the lid on, make sure the hole side of the rim goes down last, to let the air escape. To further abet seating, I then try to turn the lid to see if it settles into a tighter fit. This always worked for me. I've got an old tub of Sugar Barrel that's been open for at least two years, and it still feels and smells fresh. I just checked it. Dunno--it works for me, but I only open the tub to fill a pouch or whatever. I don't daily dip, which might make it dry out, I suppose.

The Carter Hall tubs hold their seal quite well, however this begs one question, how quickly can you get through a 14oz tub? I ask this because 14 ounces for me, is way too much tobacco to have in a container that's constantly being opened and closed. That said, I personally put about 2 ounces in wide mouth mason jar for smoking now and refill from the tub as needed.

I was baffled by the choice of 14 ounces for tubs of OTC tobacco, then I realized one possible reason why.

If you smoke 2g per bowl, or 14 bowls per ounce, and the average user loads a bowl every hour except lunch, it's a one-month supply.

Thank you to Richard Burley, Drumsandbeer, and others who have posted a reply to my inquiry.

First off, no, Richard Burley, I was not aware of the little holes on the rim of the CH Tub - now I know how to insure the best possible seal when closing the tub. Thanks!

And, just to be safe, Drumsandbeer, I have transferred over half the tub to sealed mason jars so now I will use the CH tub as my "go-to" for daily CH. Thanks!

I've had a tub of Carter Hall opened on the table beside my chair for the last 3 months and the tobacco is still fine. However you can't go wrong by storing it in a Mason Jar. :)

AJ

I do pretty much what Druns and Beer described -- the tub is for storage and I keep a few ounces handy in a Rattry's tin with a plastic lid. Surprising how long it stays fresh with no special maintenance effort.

A tub of Carter Hall lasts me a very long time (like a year or so), and I've never had the tobacco dry out.

fsu92john":1e1nqt8o said:
A tub of Carter Hall lasts me a very long time (like a year or so), and I've never had the tobacco dry out.

Good to hear....thanks for info fsu.....but my tub of CH is def. not going to last a year....it's my " go-to" in a cob at the end of the day.....