Question Regarding a Savinelli Handwarmer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trifecta13

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and couldn't resist diving right in with a question. The first real briar I purchased is an estate Savinelli nonpareil, of which (on an aesthetic level) I'm quite fond. It is my go to VaPer pipe, and it hasn't let me down in that regard. The only downside to it is that the pipe gets noticeably warm while smoking. Now, originally I chalked it up to my tendency to race to the bottom of its rather large bowl, but time and experience (limited as it is) is indicating that this may not be the case. First, I have learned the error of my ways with regard to speed, and am now a reformed hooverer (honest I am). Second, I have acquired other pipes which don't even approach the handheld toaster status of my Italian mistress. Now, I must admit, I have not built up anything resembling what could be called a cake in this pipe, but I was curious if this eventuality is even worth investing my hopes. Any insight/solutions/condolences are welcome here. Thanks.

What shape is it? Non Pareils are good pipes in my experience, so I think an answer of "crap pipe" is out of the question. There are other factors - if the draw is tight you might be pulling on the pipe harder than you realize, for example. I generally let the pipe tell me what I'm doing: rather than thinking "This pipe burns hot." one might think "This pipe is getting hot, I'm smoking a little aggressively (or need a tamp, or it's windy, or whatever)".

What he said.

When the pipe gets beyond warm, that's my signal that I'm pushing it too hard.

Nonpareils can be really fine pipes. The ribbon-thin stems can make for a restricted draw, but you can learn to live with that, comfortably. The same was true of a lot of earlier Castellos & first generation Caminettos. All great pipes.

:face:

Alright you gave me an excuse to post a pic. I hear you both loud and clear on the pace, though it seems to be a bit toasty right out of the gate. I will try a snail's pace experiment though just to verify. Thanks for the input.

3f738035-9cf9-45aa-857c-d52179b5b503.jpg

:heart: Same shape I had. Only it was a sandblasted straightgrain. In retrospect, letting it go was a serious mistake.

Nice pipe ! :cheers:

:face: