Questions about Pipe Dedication

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-R.

Reaction score
Within the past couple of months, I've come across the notion of pipe dedication. Before this, I've smoked whatever I pleased in whichever pipe I wanted. For the most part, that meant that I moved from smoking aromatics -- really, just one aromatic -- to a variety of English/Balkan blends.

Now, however, I've done the following dedications:

Dunhill billard - English/Balkans; Anything latakia heavy, basically.

Savinelli Cricket - Virginias

Nording freehand - Oriental blends that don't contain latakia.

Savinelli bulldog...err..rhodesian -- VaPer

The first two pipes are new -- the Dunhill was an estate, well cleaned; the Cricket unsmoked -- where the last two I've done the salt-&-alcohol treatment to clean up any "ghosts".

Anyway, that's all probably superfluous to my questions.

So far with the Va dedicated pipe, I've been sure to only smoke tobaccos listed as nothing other than Virginias. Stuff like McC Christmas Cheer and C&D Opening Night.

Is that a reasonable route? I know that I don't want to smoke anything in the Va pipe that has perique, latakia, or orientals in it. However, what of blends that mention being Virginias but with burley or Kentucky in them? Will that ghost a VA pipe? Should I save those for my cob and/or a future pipe?

(Actually, that brings up a seperate question: Are tobaccos labeled as Kentucky or Carolina a separate leaf, or just a way of saying a Virginia grown in those areas?)

Pretty much the same question on the VaPer pipe as well. I've only smoked Escudo in it so far, but I have a tin of Peterson Irish Oak, which is Virginia, perique and Cavendish. Is that one alright for the VaPer pipe if I'm wanting to strictly dedicate it to VaPer blends, or should it go into another pipe? Same question for McConnell Scottish Cake since I have a tin of that on the way.

Hopefully this hasn't been covered a dozen times over in the past.

-R.":lqoje9nz said:
Hopefully this hasn't been covered a dozen times over in the past.
It has, but that's alright. :D
My pipes are dedicated to types of tobacco.
Virginias
VA/Pers and Bur/VA/Pers
Latakia blends

Some burley is almost inevitably added to Virginias to fill the bottom out. The only one I know of without any is Union Square.

Not to worry on that account.

Just don't smoke sauced burleys in it (nearly any of them).

:face:

and if you have a Meerschaum: Latakia blends (tastes good in a meer, and the heavier, darker oils and tars facilitate coloring)