Quiet Nights

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illiteratti

Reaction score
Another tobacco that I picked up recently, trying new things until my Samuel Gawith becomes available, and this one is worth mentioning.

I got this tobacco mainly because it was supposed to be full of latakia flavor, and G. L. Pease is often noted as being a great blender of English tobacco. I have had another of his blends, Kensington, and although it was good, I didn't find that the taste was what I had been after, so I have kind of overlooked the Pease tins in the shop. This time though, I thought I'd give it a try. It was pretty expensive, $18 for a 50g tin, but I've heard really good things about it.

I stuffed my pipe (its a flake so I used my typical fold fluff and stuff method) and smoked it on the way home. I tasted almost nothing.

I gave it another try though, and since then I have had a completely different experience.

The tin aroma is good, but not very strong. There is a hint of red Virginia, which I red the tin description and my nose proved to be correct. Red Virginia's are just not my favorite, but its just not so overwhelming in this blend.

The flakes are moist, and a bit hard to keep lit in the beginning, but that is typical of how I smoke most flakes. I'm sure if I rubbed and dried these flakes out a bit, I should have no problem.

Now, the second and every other time I've smoked this tobacco, it had a taste, lots of flavor. I don't know what was up with my taste buds that first time, but they really let me down.

The latakia is there, and there is a slight sweetness from the Virginia, and there is also something else...a peppery flavor that I am not accustomed too. I am gonna assume its the perique? The flavor is incredible. It kind of reminds me of Dunhill Nightcap. Maybe even a bit of Penzance. But much more to my liking.

The name is a perfect fit for this tobacco, its a perfect smoke for a cool evening, and such a relaxing smoke. It is time for a new tin, and I think I'm gonna have to buy up all that is at the shop, this one is worthy of hoarding.

I learned that I am going to have to seriously look into other G.L.Pease blends because this one is absolutely magnificent. I find that I am not longing for my Penzance or touching the little bit of Nightcap I have left, just thinking about Quiet Nights pretty much all day long.

Bottom line...this is a must have for me.

Not knowing the different taste of the different tobacco's has led me to trying ones that are different and trying to learn the taste that way. I said that so you would know why I have to say I "think" and what I think is the perique is spicy and I think the pepper flavor or sting is from that.

Perhaps someone else can confirm that, but a good number of my tins has it in them and some don't. I may be missing it totally though since I have been back smoking pipes a few months back and have not since 1980. Then I just went to the local Tinder Box and picked out what I wanted. Never learned the different taste of them like that. Now I have to do that to have some idea of what I am ordering.

Skip

Yep. The freshly-ground-black-peppery note is perique. The sneeze at the end of the bowl tells you it was "in there" even when you don't specifically taste it as a component. (And, while some like a lot of it, IMO, it's better as a condiment).

FWIW

:face:

Yes! I got a small sample of this from PB from the forums and it's easily one of my favorites. As soon as I put in a new shipment I'm going to buy a lot of this. The woodsy smokey peppery taste is such a perfect flavor for winter nights. It makes the going outside my apartment building actually worth it!

Thanks for the review. This is one I haven't tried because it is said to be close to Nightcap, which was not to my taste.

locke07":5uy5vzia said:
Yes! I got a small sample of this from PB from the forums and it's easily one of my favorites. As soon as I put in a new shipment I'm going to buy a lot of this. The woodsy smokey peppery taste is such a perfect flavor for winter nights. It makes the going outside my apartment building actually worth it!
BOONDOCK SAINTS AVATAR????

I gave it the old college try, but found Quiet Nights to be too spicy for my liking. Gave it to a friend that really enjoyed it, though.

this my absolute fave and will be for quite some time. not having had anything else with latakia i assumed it was pretty heavy. there is a magic that occurs with the flavors mid bowl. just wonderful in my mind.

i believe the orientals should not be overlooked as well. they peek in an out throughout as well.

now this eve with the shipment, i poped open chelsea morning for the first time. i was surprised with the amount of latakia aroma that came forth as well. wont comment upon it yet.

Quiet Nights is magic to me.

thanks for the review nice to see another perspective on things.

the bottom tin of my hoard stash is dated 022410 which means it was canned well before release. im holding onto this one for sure. someone stuffing the shipping box was nice to do so with this.

camo