Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm. No.  On most of the chemical being natural.

I've been there, I've watched the process from seed to end packing.  Most of them are NOT naturally there. Sorry but you are wrong on that one.

puros_bran":kid764y3 said:
Ummm. No.  On most of the chemical being natural.

I've been there, I've watched the process from seed to end packing.  Most of them are NOT naturally there. Sorry but you are wrong on that one.
I never said tobacco contained no additives.  I was referencing those anti smoking campaigns of years gone by that listed all those nasty sounding chemicals such as ammonia that were in tobacco. Ammonia is naturally occurring and occurs in safe amounts in lots of foodstuffs. Many of the chemicals in those campaigns were of that frequently occurring sort. You could make a list of 'chemicals' in tomatoes that would sound just as horrific.

As for additives in tobacco, some of the responses to that are hysterical. Imo a cigarette smoker inhaling TSNAs and worrying about PG on the tobacco is retarded. It's a bit like driving a car at 200km/h without a seat belt and being primarily concerned that EM radiation from the car radio will give you a brain tumour.

Just curious--I don't use 'em; but cigarettes aren't "real" tobacco? They are something made from tobacco, similar to homogenized leaf in the binder of cheaper cigars?

Yes.

This is the only decent video I could find.

https://youtu.be/8vBtq8-Snm8

I've stated it elsewhere multiple times, Growing up I worked in the tobacco fields & barns. I helped haul it to the auction house. Watched the auction process. Later in life I drove tractor trailers from the auction houses and warehouses to Winston Salem and occasionally Richmond. Later still I hauled the finished product from Winston Salem and Richmond to distribution warehouses. During the decade I drove tank trucks I couldn't number the loads I hauled to them.

One interesting thing is the number of cigarettes they'd give drivers. When I first started hauling in to them from warehouses they'd ask your brand and lay two or three cartons by your signed bills. Five years or so later you'd get One carton. Then several packs. I think the last load I hauled I got one pack. What a difference 20 years makes.

Richard Burley":koiwi3nl said:
Just curious--I don't use 'em; but cigarettes aren't "real" tobacco?  They are something made from tobacco, similar to homogenized leaf in the binder of cheaper cigars?
Real leaf would still be the predominant ingredient in cigarettes. The other processed stuff, as per the video link by puros-bran, is made up of offcuts.

As for the sheet tobacco, that it is reconstituted doesn't make it un natural. We would have to call bread un natural if we applied the same reasoning.

The addition of humectants, flavourings, acidity stabilisers etc in cigarettes isn't something peculiar to tobacco. The ingredients on a Pringles tin is interesting reading . But I have yet to hear anyone say Pringles, and all the other foods that contain additives, cause cancer and lung disease. Basically, because they don't.

I apologise if it seems like I am preaching here. My concern is that there is an idea out there that 'pure' tobacco blends are safe to inhale because they don't have additives. No tobacco smoke is safe to inhale. If such a thing were possible Big Tobacco would hardly have passed on the opportunity over the last 50 to take it to market.  

This page by the Seattle Pipe Club with a summation of relative risks from different types of smoking is probably well known to most here. Still, might be a good time to post it for the benefit of those who haven't read it. http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020

And that's where we are missing each other.

I don't claim inhaling natural tobacco is safe. Just like I don't say sniff, snus, dip, chew, ecigs, Nicotette, or nic patches are safe. What I do say is there are degrees in risk taken.

I'd imagine we'd all be better off preaching abstinence but knowing that doesn't work in the real world I believe we should preach Harm Reduction.

Smoke in heavy doses is pretty nasty stuff whether it's tobacco, wood, grass, or whatever. In fact, most deaths from fires are the result of smoke inhalation or inhalation of toxic by-products of combustion rather than thermal injuries themselves.

Here's an article on wildland firefighters and some of the effects smoke has on them. They usually don't use the same protection as urban firefighters (oxygen and facemasks) so they're more susceptible to the ill effects. Nothing conclusive, but interesting anyway.

http://www.nwcg.gov/branches/pre/rmc/iems/topics/topics-archived/wildlandfirefighter2008.pdf

Here's another (more alarmist) on the effects of smoke on populations surrounding fire zones.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/apr/19/theres-still-much-to-learn-about-long-term-of/

I would think that if you're going to voluntarily inhale smoke, however, less additives might be the way to go. The elevator, after all, is going down, but no need to cut the cable, too.

I agree with the POV that tobacco, in any form, is probably not good for the smoker.Just llike hamburgers, beer and donuts. That said, is there some limit at which the body can tolerate this "insult" and healthy cells can reproduce? Wouldn't this information be useful to smokers?

The answer is probably different for each type of tobacco use. Personally, I don't see any reason to believe that moderate use of pipe tobacco is a significant health threat. And there's anecdotal support for the idea that pipe smoking has health benefits, such as relaxation.

The point about processing tobacco makes use of various additives, preservatives, colorizers, taste enhancers etc is often mentioned without making the bridge to food, the processing of which uses many of the same additives. Granted, eating food that includes PG, for one example, may be different from burning and inhaling residue from this humectant or simply sipping it orally and exhalng it. But the current politics of the matter is to ban smoing without bothering with such fine intramural distinctions.

You can learn some amazing things about processed food simply by learning to read ingredient and nutrition labels on the pakaged food your family eats, particularly on matters like artificial sugars. If you want to know why Americans tend to be chubby and prone to diabetes, you need only peruse these labels. It's not a mystery. In fine print and carefully spun, yes. But a mystery, no.

I do the grocery shopping for my family and, the other day, had both ice cream and good ol' baked beans in the cart. Waiting in the check out line, I perused some of the labels. I didn't expect the ice cream to be a health food. But I was surprised that both the beans and the chocolate ice cream had the same score in the "sugars" box -- 12 G per 1/2 cup serving. Remember Dixie, Cups? They used to be half cup size. No one since has eaten only a half cup serving or either ice cream or baked beans.

The lumping together and harrassment of all types of tobacco users is, imho, another government backed public relations effort intended to divert and distract the public. Meanwhile, the content of processed foods is just beginning to get some overdue public attention.

Tobacco is good and I want more. That's my take on the whole deal. If it eventually kills, what would you prefer to die of? Old age? Not from what I've witnessed. Fifty+ years of cheating death here. And I can guarantee anyone that I won't die of cancer. Just a thought for deep thinkers.

I smoke for stress relief. When I first started the pipe I inhaled. So at that point it didn't really make a difference health wise. I learned latter thats not the way you smoke a pipe. Now I never inhale. Pipe smoking is a marathon, not a race. It usually takes me a good hour to smoke a bowl out for my meerschaum(it's a handcarved

I smoke for stress relief. When I first started the pipe I inhaled. So at that point it didn't really make a difference health wise. I learned latter thats not the way you smoke a pipe. Now I never inhale. Pipe smoking is a marathon, not a race. It usually takes me a good hour to smoke a bowl out for my meerschaum(it's handcarved in the shape of a wolfs head by Kural). Just smelling the sweet sent of cherry pipe Tabacco emanating from it is pure heaven. When you smoke your pipe correctly, your letting a wave of nicotine wash over you for a steady drawn out period. My best time of day is the simple act of goin out on my back porch, in the morning or at dusk, and enjoying my pipe. Wether its a healthier choice doesn't matter to me in the least.