Quote that I saw that fits my situation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthonyx2b

Reaction score
I'm in college and I have no idea where my life is going, what I want to do, what I want to be and I saw this quote today "Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world in the way they have been told to" - Alan Keightley. I don't know what this could mean to my brothers here, but I know it helped me with these hard times in deciding where my life is going.

Anthonyx2b":u5g430vm said:
I'm in college and I have no idea where my life is going, what I want to do, what I want to be ...
Sorry, it don't get any easier; I'm fixin' to turn sixty and I still don't know. :lol!:

I know exactly what I want to do. "Evil dictator" is simply a long road, and I have to pass the time somehow. :twisted:

8)

Anthony, regardless of college courses taken, jobs worked, or relationship experiences, a large majority of folks, really don't take a solid direction, until after they turn 30.

Don't sweat it, enjoy your 20's while you can. One day, they will be gone, like a puff of smoke, it will seem.

I never got to do life, life did me. I just hung on like a cowboy on the back of an angry, ornery bull. Thought I had it licked until the seven second mark, then it slammed me to the ground and stomped the Hell outta me. Now I'm just an old beat up cowboy sittin' on my front porch wondering "what the Hell happened?"

Well, that's my experience... hoping life treats you a whole lot kinder. :lol:

BTW, you look like a bright lad, and that's a beautiful young gal you got there. Looks like you got the animal by the tail. Just hoping you keep it that way. :D

"He had driven half the night
From far down San Joaquin
Through Mariposa, up the
Dangerous Mountain roads,
And pulled in at eight a.m.
With his big truckload of hay
behind the barn.
With winch and ropes and hooks
We stacked the bales up clean
To splintery redwood rafters
High in the dark, flecks of alfalfa
Whirling through shingle-cracks of light,
Itch of haydust in the
sweaty shirt and shoes.
At lunchtime under Black oak
Out in the hot corral,
---The old mare nosing lunchpails,
Grasshoppers crackling in the weeds---
"I'm sixty-eight" he said,
"I first bucked hay when I was seventeen.
I thought, that day I started,
I sure would hate to do this all my life.
And dammit, that's just what
I've gone and done.""

Rad Davis":hm2yr6zv said:
"He had driven half the night
From far down San Joaquin
Through Mariposa, up the
Dangerous Mountain roads,
And pulled in at eight a.m.
With his big truckload of hay
behind the barn.
With winch and ropes and hooks
We stacked the bales up clean
To splintery redwood rafters
High in the dark, flecks of alfalfa
Whirling through shingle-cracks of light,
Itch of haydust in the
sweaty shirt and shoes.
At lunchtime under Black oak
Out in the hot corral,
---The old mare nosing lunchpails,
Grasshoppers crackling in the weeds---
"I'm sixty-eight" he said,
"I first bucked hay when I was seventeen.
I thought, that day I started,
I sure would hate to do this all my life.
And dammit, that's just what
I've gone and done.""
Excellent! :cheers: I can identify with the writer. Oh well, it is what it is. ;)

I'm waiting until I retire to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

This may not be what you want to hear, but if a person can't figure out why they're in college, they may not belong there. That's not meant as a negative message - rather, it is motivation to be true to yourself. That's why I dropped out after my third years of undergraduate studies, though its harder to find a job today than it was back then. After three years of working I had figured out what I wanted, returned to finish my BS, went on for a Ph.D. and then a nice career in industrial R&D. Now I'm consulting and may return to an academic job to finish my career in basic R&D again.

My brother had a similar trajectory - unfinished degree, worked on ski slopes for a few years, return to finish up, nice career in industrial engineering, and now consulting.

You might see your path while still in school, but don't be afraid to make a big change if not.

Good luck!

Steve

Wow, some very positive feedback here. Its a very stressful time, just can't wait for that epiphany.

I went to college and earned a degree. I worked in that area and after 10 years was put into a position where I needed to ask, "now what?"

That was six years ago and two career changes ago.

Kyle Weiss":sxvkv3ov said:
I know exactly what I want to do. "Evil dictator" is simply a long road, and I have to pass the time somehow. :twisted:

8)
When you get that position , keep me in mind for an assistant.... I make a mean cup of coffee

Thistleoak":ufjwsshz said:
Kyle Weiss":ufjwsshz said:

8)
When you get that position , keep me in mind for an assistant.... I make a mean cup of coffee
Thistle, you just volunteered yourself as Pinky to Kyle's Brain.....this should be good :lol:

*Sings* ----Their Pinky, Their Pinky, Their Pinky, Their Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain...........................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

scotties22":c651cbcb said:
Thistleoak":c651cbcb said:
Kyle Weiss":c651cbcb said:

8)
Thistle, you just volunteered yourself as Pinky to Kyle's Brain.....this should be good :lol:

*Sings* ----Their Pinky, Their Pinky, Their Pinky, Their Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain...........................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

LMAO!!!!!! I was never of the caliber to be an evil genius.... I'd make a heck of a thumb buster for one though!

Oh, I have my entire cabinet picked out for "The Day People Will Rue" (aka, inauguration). :twisted:

Now back to the meat of the matter.

Anthony, long story short, but I can side with Simple Man's bullriding comment. Very little was easy, very few did right by me, and I never got the opportunity to go to college. Fortunately, because of this upbringing, it didn't matter--I didn't belong there by default.

Life really isn't too complicated, I've learned, and I did plenty to help try and make it complicated. Just have a healthy balance of going with the flow, while being aware of your direction, and you'd be surprised how easy opportunity and *cough* "answers" become. Awareness and conscious decision mean everything. Just being concerned means you have the tools necessary to not miss the boat.

What a sh*tty puddle of metaphors. :lol: Sorry about that.

8)

("fear is okay, it's regret that is my enemy")

Most folks want a level of consistancy in their lives and surprise! the only consistancy is CHANGE !! Your ideas, needs and wants in life are going to evolve as you advance in age and life experiences so try and stay loose, and enjoy what you can in life as it moves along. Stay flexible and realize you are not alone in all this. Keep family and freinds close, try and do what you enjoy and now go and load a bowl with your fave 'bac and enjoy :p

Anthony, you're young. And at 19 I had no freaking idea what I wanted to be save for being a R&R star. That didn't work out so good...........

It wasn't until my mid-30's that I finally fell into the groove of my professional destiny. And 24+ yrs later still have the passion for it.

All to say it takes some of us a long time to figure it out.

Don't rush it. Go with your heart and passion, give it everything you've got, and be prepared to switch directions when it's appropriate. You'll do fine.

Best wishes in your journey.

Cheers,

RR

Kyle Weiss":q9zq5se1 said:
Oh, I have my entire cabinet picked out for "The Day People Will Rue" (aka, inauguration). :twisted:

Now back to the meat of the matter.

Anthony, long story short, but I can side with Simple Man's bullriding comment. Very little was easy, very few did right by me, and I never got the opportunity to go to college. Fortunately, because of this upbringing, it didn't matter--I didn't belong there by default.

Life really isn't too complicated, I've learned, and I did plenty to help try and make it complicated. Just have a healthy balance of going with the flow, while being aware of your direction, and you'd be surprised how easy opportunity and *cough* "answers" become. Awareness and conscious decision mean everything. Just being concerned means you have the tools necessary to not miss the boat.

What a sh*tty puddle of metaphors. :lol: Sorry about that.

8)

("fear is okay, it's regret that is my enemy")

Hmm I really like what you said here Kyle. I'm going to think about that a little bit. I feel like college will work out for me when I get a passion for what it is I want to do, but until then ill be there hanging in and making the best decisions I can. Lots of good tips have been posted here. Pretty cool guys, thanks. :sunny:

Brewdude":6ktg98up said:
Anthony, you're young. And at 19 I had no freaking idea what I wanted to be save for being a R&R star. That didn't work out so good...........

It wasn't until my mid-30's that I finally fell into the groove of my professional destiny. And 24+ yrs later still have the passion for it.

All to say it takes some of us a long time to figure it out.

Don't rush it. Go with your heart and passion, give it everything you've got, and be prepared to switch directions when it's appropriate. You'll do fine.

Best wishes in your journey.

Cheers,

RR
What is it that you ended up doing with your life as of now? :bounce: