Raccoons?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Janitor

Reaction score
So, it seems that a group of 6-8 raccoons have started living under my shed, and are venturing out every night to have a snack at our bird feeders. Do any of the brothers here have any ideas for how to get rid of them? I also think that there might be a bear cub feeding too, unless it's a monster of a 'coon.

The Janitor

The simple solution is to take the bird feeder down until all the cridders move on....

The fun solution is to set up a blind some distance away, camp out, and take pot shots at them... I'd advise shooting the one with the radio first, followed by any with funny looking weapons, then any non-coms you see... Forget that stuff about shooting the officers first.... Racoon Officers aren't nearly as dangerous as people think.

Shoot their banidt asses. You can also trap then, but you still got to eliminate them.

I shoot the possums in the back yard when there are no neighbors around. Fun times: fun times...

They gotta eat too and if they aren't rabid they mean no harm. I have many bird feeders on my property and I see the coons gleaning dropped sunflower seeds off the ground around my feeders on a pretty regular basis. I haven't had any problems with them otherwise.

Don't just start taking pot shots at these guys especially if you have close neighbors. If there is a national forest somewhere close you can live trap them, haul them out there and release them (if they don't show signs of rabes). You might check will a local rent-all place to see if you could rent a large live trap. Otherwise, there are usually local critter removal services that will do it for a fee, check your yellow pages, sometimes an exterminator for termites & bugs also handles stuff like bats and coons. Sometimes local Universities have programs for stuff like this. A coon hunting club might be interested as well, (not so much for the hunting value but just in the interest of preserving their favorite game animal).
Good luck.

Bah humbug.....

If there are neighbors close better take a few pot shots at them too... They may be framing the coons! Just remember to use a larger caliber...

Then again.. Now that I think about it... You don't see any sign of squirill do ya???? Those sneaky guys frame coons quite regular... I've even seen 'em wearing masks to try to look like a coon... If that's the case you'll be outnumbered and outgunned... Best to just fight their leader in the DeathPit, winner gets the birdfeeders... Watch 'em though, their blindingly fast, and most all of 'em carry bootknifes.

We have the occasional coon, opossum, and (but not in a long time!!) skunk trolling thru the backyard checking out the bird feeder. Accidentally left the patio door into the garage open one night; 'coons got in the cat food!! Took the lid off the trash can the wife uses to store the cat food.

Getting them out from under your shed is another problem. Call your local animal control; they might come get them. Otherwise you're stuck with killing them by some method (not suggested) or trapping them and hauling their butts off. If you are living in a more rural/natural area; these things are a fact of life! Good luck!! FTRPLT

BTW...Do not try to befriend/pet/hand-feed these little buggers! Think very painful rabies vaccinations!!

Make sure they aren't movie stars from "Over the Hedge". They could be worth a lot of $$ :shock:

To tame the down, you need to still kill the parents and hand feed the young. If you intend to share your place with them as suggested, be warned of disease and damage to property.

You'll need trash cans that lock and a Bible, cause you'll have to pray they don't move into a basement or under the house. Racoon are edible if that means anything to you. I'd still shoot them. Racoon traps were about 70 bucks here. I've trapped a few, but they don't bother me here.

There is a big difference between the occasional critter and they living in your shed.

We hunted coon growing up, raised and sold blue tick hounds and treeing walkers. My dad won two state championship field trials with two dogs in the late 70's early 80's. Coon hunters love them for training purposes. Some may come trap them. Whenever we caught them around our house we would relocate them to some back country areas by a big river. I'm sure the local farmers loved that, though. More coons getting in their trash cans. We even had a pet coon for a couple of years but it ran off. The dogs gave it the hibby jibbies I'm sure. We never ate one. Every time we killed one on a night hunt we gave it to this old man who ate it and kept the skins. There's lots of choices on how to handle those coons. Choose ye wisely.

Thanks for the advice. I know that they are indeed 'coons, I set my trail cam out a couple times so I could try to get a count of how many we have. Shooting them would be my first choice, but that would be a little hard to pull off in a trailer park. I was hoping to avoid the high cost of traps, so it looks like AI might have to find another way to eliminate them. I don't think I'd have a problem with them, but I don't rally like the Idea of them living under the shed.

The Janitor

Trapping and releasing is the most practical way. Or get a maine coon cat to chase them off. If there is insulation under your trailer, check it over. They like to tear into it an make nests.

puros_bran":2h6y1v0c said:
Bah humbug.....

If there are neighbors close better take a few pot shots at them too... They may be framing the coons! Just remember to use a larger caliber...

Then again.. Now that I think about it... You don't see any sign of squirill do ya???? Those sneaky guys frame coons quite regular... I've even seen 'em wearing masks to try to look like a coon... If that's the case you'll be outnumbered and outgunned... Best to just fight their leader in the DeathPit, winner gets the birdfeeders... Watch 'em though, their blindingly fast, and most all of 'em carry bootknifes.
Have you been eating those funny mushrooms again? :scratch: