Rad/Growley/i.keenum keep your head down!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looks like Karen has you right in her crosshairs. Stay safe brothers!

:shock: 

145003W5_NL_sm.gif

Cheers,

RR

Yeah, we had a little rain today...wonder if that's the beginning...

We had a little rain yesterday too. I think it's rained almost every day this summer. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :) 

It's about time we had another storm come right up through Mobile Bay. Keeps us on our toes. :lol: 

Rad

The Northwest brewmaster meteorologist has seen your fate. He'll be down in 48 hours with beer for a party. (Hurricanes in Washington? Feh!) :lol:

You all shoulda seen there was an angle. :lol:

8)

Actually plan on having one. I'm right on the beach but category one is nothing serious. I'm on the second floor all is good.

We're doubling the lines on the boat tonight. Hold fast.

jefe1037":aknnis2i said:
hurricane party?
In the southern US, its traditional to throw a party as a hurricane passes. Power goes out and there is nothing to do but wait it out. Most of the time the situation is not dangerous and without power work and business shuts down (sometimes for days at a time). The obvious tactic in this situation is to get drunk while BBQ/cooking everything in the freezer before it all goes bad. I have to say some of the best parties I've ever been at were hurricane parties.

Tate":tfnyuhqo said:
jefe1037":tfnyuhqo said:
hurricane party?
Power goes out and there is nothing to do but wait it out.  

The obvious tactic in this situation is to get drunk while BBQ/cooking everything in the freezer before it all goes bad.  
I can think of a few obvious things to do in a power outtage... ;)

Kyle Weiss":kw664ybg said:
The Northwest brewmaster meteorologist has seen your fate.    He'll be down in 48 hours with beer for a party.   (Hurricanes in Washington?  Feh!)   :lol: 

You all shoulda seen there was an angle.    :lol:

8)
Actually, back in '06 there was a record low pressure system that came ashore in the Pac NW and served to wipe out power to over a million folks here. In the greater Seattle area alone there were over 600K without power, me among them!

My outtage lasted 6 days, but some areas went several weeks.

The way this system came on us was much like the conditions during a hurricane, using the data from the national weather folks. In short, it was a hurricane but they didn't call it that.

And it kicked our asses. Don't believe me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanukkah_Eve_wind_storm_of_2006

All that to say I have a huge respect for high winds and what they can do. Since living here in the PacNW I've been part and parcel of many winter windstorms, and none of them have been pleasant.

So in that vein I have much empathy for those in Karen's path, no matter what the so called classification.

Bad ju-ju!

:evil: 

Cheers,

RR

Briarbabe":v2e9kgh8 said:
Tate":v2e9kgh8 said:
jefe1037":v2e9kgh8 said:
hurricane party?

The obvious tactic in this situation is to get drunk while BBQ/cooking everything in the freezer before it all goes bad.  

"There are only two things to do on rainy days, and I don't like to play cards."

Well, it turned out to be nothing more than a few gusts.

41896979.jpg

Briarbabe":6i8cdvxh said:
Tate":6i8cdvxh said:
jefe1037":6i8cdvxh said:
hurricane party?

Our 29 year old celebrates her birthday nine months after a power-outage happened here in 1984...
My 24 year old lives in New Orleans, she sees these storms as some kind of challenge now...(we worry).
I hope you folks are OK. It hasn't rained here in Maryland for maybe a month now? But, we should see some tomorrow.

I literally walked the beach during the supposed to be landfall time drinking a few beers with a few friends. Nothing much, warm and windy.:D

My wife was actually wanting a bit of rain so she could cuddle up and take a nap.