Radice aero 55

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedumbjerk

Reaction score
So I made a dumb financial decision and got a Radice aero 55 from Luca. I had to. I've been wanting the Radice 55 since I've seen it, and wanted to try an aero for a while too. I'm smoking my second bowl right now. It's doing a really good job, and I'll buy a few more. It's hard to judge a pipe before it's broken in, especially when you are still excited about it. For those of you who are expecting the dual chambers to be an in your face, new smoking experience, you'll be disappointed. It smokes differently to me. It's subtle, but nice. First off, I love chubby nose warmers. They appeal to me more than anything else. The first benefit for the shape is it's pretty light. It's a big chunk of briar. The hollow shank does save some weight. I can sort of clench it. Which is good for the occasional typing or turning the page of a book. It also brings out a slightly different taste in the tobacco. The first smoke was solani silver flake. It's no secret that I think that tobacco is decent, but overrated to high heaven. The smoke last night was great! It brought forward the taste that the tobacco almost was for me in the past. It was a bit richer, and more complex. The smoke tonight is Kendal Kentucky. One I smoke a lot as of late. This one is sweeter, creamier, and has less spice to it. I'll continue to smoke tobaccos I know in it, but I'm pretty excited. In all, I think it's great. Really pipes don't come alive for a while, so time will tell, but my initial impression is good.
https://i.imgur.com/51HQLek.png
https://i.imgur.com/h4MOMz5.png

Puff Daddy":nssalmvv said:
Beautiful pipe man :) 
Thanks! Sorry for not im bedding the pics, I'm mobile only at the moment. Mods, if you want feel free. Also the rim has great tight Birdseye on it. I'll get better pics soon. Oh and no bowl coating. Which seems rare on the dual chamber.

That's the coolest 55 I think I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot, because the 55 is my least favorite shape. I think I could actually own that one...well not "that" one...you own "that" one. :D 

Excuse the pipemaker in me, but I just have to ask. I know it's difficult to make standard tapered stems comfortable when the taper is that great and short. On a scale of 1-10, (10 being ultra comfortable), how comfortable is that stem for ya? does it seem to sit well, or you feel like it might get away from you a bit?

Don't feel you have to answer. I guess I'm just doing some research.

Nice pipe sir. Do you know if these came in the unfiltered style?

Cartaphilus":88u37jxl said:
Nice pipe sir. Do you know if these came in the unfiltered style?
no filter. the dual chamber is just a really big airway.

Growley":88u37jxl said:
That's the coolest 55 I think I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot, because the 55 is my least favorite shape. I think I could actually own that one...well not "that" one...you own "that" one. Very Happy

Excuse the pipemaker in me, but I just have to ask. I know it's difficult to make standard tapered stems comfortable when the taper is that great and short. On a scale of 1-10, (10 being ultra comfortable), how comfortable is that stem for ya? does it seem to sit well, or you feel like it might get away from you a bit?

That’s a tough one Brian. Your bit on my ramses ranks a 10. I forget it’s there, but it’s very secure. This one is Lucite, so you feel it more to begin with. If I try and clench this one or the junebug I have (similar style stem) I can feel it. the good news is it’s hefty enough you don’t really wnt to clench it that much. I’m also more of a hands on smoker anyway. I find myself with this bit between my lips and teeth. It’s very comfortable there. I would love it if it was more comfortable, but it’s comfortable enough I don’t notice it. your stem, I notice how comfortable it is, if that makes sense. Also, the junebug I have came with two stems, unfiltered and 9mm. if you want to check it out I can send you the extra stem and you can play with it.

and dave, i love imgur! easiest to use, direct uploads from my phone, no obnoxious pop up ads. and you can have public and private images, galleries, etc. oh and i love reddit, so i guess it makes sense :D 

For those of you who are expecting the dual chambers to be an in your face, new smoking experience, you'll be disappointed. It smokes differently to me. It's subtle, but nice.
Interesting, I wondered how they smoked.
That is a lovely shape!

51HQLek.png

Thanks for your professional opinion on the double chambered Aero pipe. Many folks were pretty excited about them and they have been selling like hot cakes at the pipe shows. However I personally regard it as just another fad or gimmick pipe, just like the larger double chamber pipes. I really appreciate your honest opinion of the way it smokes and keep us informed in the future if it becomes a regular in your rotation. I was tempted to try one but still holding off as my attraction to pipes is pretty conservative but I've gone overboard on a couple occasions! LOL
BTW I love Radice pipes, those guys are great pipe makers.

Growley":7n69dwby said:
That's the coolest 55 I think I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot, because the 55 is my least favorite shape. I think I could actually own that one...well not "that" one...you own "that" one. :D 

I don't think the taper on a chubby/nosewarmer pipe is meant to be clenched. It's outlandish. The stem on my Aero is lovat-ish, fine but too short. It works but not comfortably. The Pease/DiPiazza chubbies called my attention to this. Yes, one wants a pleasing profile but not at the extreme discomfort of a would-be clencher. They were the first that I had seen that pushed style so strongly; it doesn't seem that that mattered to anyone as I believe they were big sellers. LP's solo second venture's success follows on the heals of the success of the Pease/DiPiazza pipes.