Radice pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, it looks like I'll be giving this one a pass due to some recent unexpected expenses.

Actually, not totally unexpected since I knew that a major house project was coming up. But it all came to a head a few days ago and I had to roll with it. 

So no new pipes or 'baccy for quite some time!

Poor poor pitiful me!

:( 

Cheers,

RR

I'm very happy with my Radice Rubino billiard (or pot/billiard, come to think of it).  I must have lucked out because the stem is well molded and has a perfect, cushiony fit with the shank.  Great briar and engineering.  One of my best smokers for the last four years.  Would have preferred the stem lip to be thicker, but that thin bit is a characteristic of most Italian pipes.

7035642031_4f7d6066b9.jpg

I own two. One is my favorite/best smoking pipe of any I own.

It's pedegree...Oil Cured, Silk Cut, Twin Bore, Faux Bamboo stem, shape is a Radice spin that looks half apple  with a slightly jutting chin (subtle). It smokes everything well...everything...and always. Nice.

Looks a lot like the photo below:

002-030-1074.jpg

I have a Radice Poker (c. 2008) and love it.  It's my favorite pipe - flawlessly made. Smokes easy and even.

Rande,

I have two now. Both smoke great. As to the cheap pre-cut stem I can't speak to whether Radice uses pre-cut stems, but I seriously doubt it. I do know for a fact Ascorti cuts their own stems. And as Luigi worked in the same factory and likely has the same skills and equipment I imagine he probable cuts his own stems. If you ever get around to buying one I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I suppose I could look that up somewhere, but I won't. I've got a couple of Radice (Ra-dee-chay) briars...one being an oil cured, twin bore, faux bamboo carve...sweet. Now NOBODY could convince me that the proprietary twin bore stem is not done in house. That's just crazy. All things considered, that pipe, BTW, is very likely the BEST smoking pipe I've ever owned. Anyway, sure there are many different lines and grades of Radice briars, but I doubt any have a pre cut stem.

I think even Savinelli cuts their own stems in house. I know Chapuis Comoy does. Pre-cut stems are more the domain of hobbyist and lower end makers. Major factories cut their own, as it's just cheaper for them to get the shapes they want. My Radice's, Mastro De Paja, Armellini's and Ascorti's are all great smokers. And they all pass a cleaner. My Comoy's are well drilled also, as are my Chacom's. These folks make a lot of pipes, they must have learned something.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LbhXy1MNqRo" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Roberto cutting a stem. Notice the slot. Oh, and turn off the sound. It's pretty cheesy. ;)

I know for a fact that many major production houses use pre cut stems. How? Well at one time Smokers' Haven was licensed to do repairs for many of the major marquees. We have bags full of old GBD, Barling, Charatan, Savinelli, twin bores, and other stems left over from those days. Occasionally I use one in a repair or to make one of our budget priced "Buckeye" brand pipes. Yes, some brands do cut stems from solid stock. The video of Ascorti is a good example. These are not always better than pre molded stems.

As for slot cutting, what you saw in the Ascorti video is only step one for me when I cut a slot. Including sanding and polishing, I can spend upwards of 30 mins just on the interior of a stem. Does is make that big of a difference? Ususally, yes. That said, I have a lot of pipes with pre molded stems that smoke great.

All I can say is I have 19 Ascorti's 2 Radice's, and a Mastro De Paja. Not a less than excellent smoker in the lot. I don't own any Savinelli's, but they cover a wide variety of price points, so anything is possible.

Blackhorse":pb68hum4 said:
I own two. One is my favorite/best smoking pipe of any I own.

It's pedegree...Oil Cured, Silk Cut, Twin Bore, Faux Bamboo stem, shape is a Radice spin that looks half apple  with a slightly jutting chin (subtle). It smokes everything well...everything...and always. Nice.
Based on your experience I bought one. Thanks! :)

Blackhorse":431xagl5 said:
Mine looks similar to the pic here...but less deeply rusticated.
Very nice! I've always wanted a faux bamboo Radice. Great Pipe Dave! :cheers: