Radice Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattia76

Reaction score
Greetings Gentlemen,
Just picked up this beautiful Radice online. The poker shape is my favorite and this baby is BIG. I am anticipating a great deal of smoking pleasure.

Question:

Where does Radice stand in the pantheon of Italian pipe makers?

http://files.me.com/mattia76/zemd5s

I think Radice sits around with the other mid-grade (pretty high mid) Italians. I would suggest that there are a number of more or less equivalent makers in that margin - Il Ceppo, Mastro de Paja, Radice, Caminetto, maybe Viprati, though both he and Ser Jacopo have some much higher end stuff as well.

I don't think Radice is as snobbily regarded as Castello, for example, but I've never heard the words "poor smoking Radice" and it's certainly a brand that I would not hesitate to buy if I saw a shape I liked. I'd guess you'll be pretty happy with yours. The Italians are pretty good at things like wine and pipes, and take 'em damn seriously.

I can't speak as an expert on Italian pipes, but I have two Radices that are wonderful smokers. One was a estate 80's Clear EX, with very smooth lines, and the other a new 25th Aniversary twin bore. I am always on the search for more, but Radice makes a lot of bents and wild pipes while I'm stuck on staights, billiards, canadians ext. I think the value in Radice is high and there are a lot of bargins to be had.

I own about 8 Radice pipes and they are great smokers plus they have
style.Now that they are selling direct without a distributor the prices are
very attractive.
Funny how that twin bore and oil-cured features were touted when they had a
distributor but have fallen by the wayside since they started selling direct
to retailers.Makes me think it was BS to coax a higher price. :x

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":o3o2q69u said:
Funny how that twin bore and oil-cured features were touted when they had a
distributor but have fallen by the wayside since they started selling direct
to retailers.Makes me think it was BS to coax a higher price. :x
It could be the old distributor owns the patent/trademark...

Just picked up a twin bore Silk Cut billiard now that the original prices are half of what they were. The fit and finish is excellent, the drilling right on, and the draw easy and open. The Radice smokes wonderfully and I certainly will buy more of the new production. The new pricing provides real value.

I have heard much of this new distribution deal, but where have retailers actually lowered their prices on new Radice pipes?

Smokingpipes.com is one retailer that has some nice Radice pieces every week lately
at 50% of the old prices. :)

Winslow :sunny: