Rainer Barbi freehand drilling

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyson

Reaction score
I just thought some of you guys might be interested in this, I randomly found it while looking at pipe videos on youtube. His technique for drilling freehand was pretty damn terrifying, at least it looks that way to me. He's obviously very comfortable with his tools, but if it was me I'd be worried that somebody would slap me on the back and I'd lose a finger or trip into my chair and I'd get a spinning blade of death in my chest.

Anyhow, like watching anyone good at what they do, its quite pleasing to watch him work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dh8RBsz0AF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

It's good to see a craftsman with all his fingers!! Obvious that he's been doing this for years!

Greyson":orq8z4aa said:
I just thought some of you guys might be interested in this, I randomly found it while looking at pipe videos on youtube. His technique for drilling freehand was pretty damn terrifying, at least it looks that way to me. He's obviously very comfortable with his tools, but if it was me I'd be worried that somebody would slap me on the back and I'd lose a finger or trip into my chair and I'd get a spinning blade of death in my chest.

Anyhow, like watching anyone good at what they do, its quite pleasing to watch him work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dh8RBsz0AF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
It's quite mind boggling to watch him work. It looks like he just walks up to the tools and casually drills the holes perfectly. For me, watching this is equivalent to watching someone approach an angry, full sized alligator while holding a cup of tea in one hand and the saucer in the other, then subduing the creature with his left foot without spilling a drop. WHAT?

UberHuberMan said:
Greyson":09io1zs8 said:
It's quite mind boggling to watch him work. It looks like he just walks up to the tools and casually drills the holes perfectly. For me, watching this is equivalent to watching someone approach an angry, full sized alligator while holding a cup of tea in one hand and the saucer in the other, then subduing the creature with his left foot without spilling a drop. WHAT?
Beeing one of the best German Pipemakers he really did this for years.

Yes that was a treat to see. Freehand! Raises the bar a bit. You would have to be very conscious of pushing with your arms and not your body. Reminds me of how I was taught to operate a drill press. Old school was to just hold on tight, and get the job done. Very cool. Has got me thinking.

Andy

wow... makes me feel like a little girl... clearly he knows what he's doing. that was awesome!

Was nice seeing this, I picked up a Barbi Estate and it was one of the nicest and driest smoking pipes which is saying a lot as I have many very good ones. Here is the Barbi

8264607065_7d9e6dc26c_b.jpg

When he drilled the shank he did it so effortlessly! Without hesitation or taking time to constantly keep it straight. How'd he do that? Marvelous!

It's also crazy how much pressure he's putting on those crazy spade bits. I've tried similar bits on my lathe and was scared to death. I can't imagine doing it by hand. ...Not for this pipe maker.

Those local makers who are disinclined to do by hand what Rainer does by hand are such because they want to keep their hands:).

Holy shit. I can't believe be manages to keep all the holes straight and lined up with each other at the bottom of the bowl with his bare hands, and working so damn fast, too.