Random Observations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever changed horses in the middle of the stream ? (Bonus points : Why ?)

Not sure what you mean by this?
Switched from, say, Danish freehands to British billiards.

:face:

Ever gotten sucked into a p*ssing contest with somebody on Flea Bay & spent way more for a pipe than you initially figured it was worth, just because you wanted it ?

Probably only slightly irrational-over-rational, myself. 90/10? :lol:

I like variety, but there's a reason--getting in touch with my palate ain't easy. Not to mention, with the changes that happen with a natural product like tobacco, there's such a thing as too comfortable. Getting the bomb dropped, either announced or figuring it out the hard way, that my favorite bac is no longer what it was...that worries me. Genuinely. As for pipes? The varieties are narrowing into specific selections quite quickly. Anything outside of that is either a screamin' deal or pure aesthetics--which is a luxury left to when I actually have a few cents to rub together.

I'll buy a Pete because it's a Pete, for example, if it has the right shape, poise, look and vibe. I can only really do this in person. Electronic/Internet sales keep my collection low and reasonable, in other words. :lol: It doesn't mean I'm not tempted, but the cost would have to be incredibly low for a not-in-person risk.

I have "enough" pipes, but I do like having a few I can pass on to others. Like tobacco, in its honor, nothing is wasted.

Brewdude":72s1hstv said:
OK I'll play-

Yak":72s1hstv said:
If you go to pipe gatherings, do you take your most expensive one to smoke ? (Be honest).

To date, I've not been to a pipe gathering. But when I do I'll take my best smokers whatever they are. I'm not looking to impress anyone. Huh?

Cheers,

RR
OK, I mis-spoke myself here.

Back around say '00/'01 I made the acquaintance of the SPC (Seattle Pipe Club) and became a member. They had events at the local T-Box periodically and I attended several.

Back then I had but a few pipes, none of them very noteworthy or expensive. But I came willing to learn. So there was no shame in bringing in a cheap Chacom or Edwards.

Guess the thing that impressed me the most was how friendly the SPC folks were. None of them were haughty or egomaniacs, and all had only pipe brotherhood to share.

Learned a lot from them. And glad I re-joined after my pipe hiatus.

Cheers,

RR

(just to set the record straight)