Randy Wiley And/Or Ardor Experience Anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a comparison, just saving space on the topic board.
I'm eyeing three different Randy Wiley pipes at the moment along with two Ardor's. Has anyone had experience with either brand? Worth the price tag?
Thanks for the input y'all.

Rusty Mouse":lurso3eg said:
I'm eyeing three different Randy Wiley pipes at the moment along with two Ardor's. Has anyone had experience with either brand? Worth the price tag?
ANY Randy Wiley pipe that he made I would get before I got an Ardor. They are GREAT pipes made by one of America's BEST pipe makers as I'm sure any other foks here who have his pipes will attest. I'm fortunate to own one bought back in the 80's and it is a FANTASTIC pipe! Who's selling them if you don't mind? :p

monbla256":v47w2fmp said:
Rusty Mouse":v47w2fmp said:
ANY Randy Wiley pipe that he made I would get before I got an Ardor. They are GREAT pipes made by one of America's BEST pipe makers as I'm sure any other foks here who have his pipes will attest. I'm fortunate to own one bought back in the 80's and it is a FANTASTIC pipe! Who's selling them if you don't mind? :p
Smokingpipes.com has got a nice selection of about 20 at the moment. When you say "any pipe that he made" do you mean he doesn't make all the pipes with his stamp on them personally? I was under the impression he made all the pipes himself. Then again, I've been so wrong before.

I own two Wileys . . excellent smokers and incredibly made. Highly recommended! No experience with Ardors, sadly, so cannot offer up a comparison.

Rusty Mouse":xfpx53kc said:
monbla256":xfpx53kc said:
Rusty Mouse":xfpx53kc said:
Smokingpipes.com has got a nice selection of about 20 at the moment. When you say "any pipe the he made" do you mean he doesn't make all the pipes with his stamp on them personally? I was under the impression he made all the pipes himself. Then again, I've been so wrong before.
I was under a missunderstanding about his firm. My experience is only with a pipe made at that time. I did not mean that the newer ones were any less of a pipe. As a little side note he supposedly worked carving freehands for Edwards back in the 60s. None were marked as his work though which is to bad :p

Wiley cuts a comfortable button, but the stems are very thick, unacceptably so in my opinion. He bores them right out at 1/8" all the way through, so the airway is constant all the way, which may account for some of the smoking qualities. They smoke good and his oil curing tastes just fine. But they are heavy. So between the size of the wood and the thickness of the stem, they aren't clenchers.

I have a couple of Wiley's pipes. Love the rustication. Galleon line, I think it's called. They smoke very well and are very well made. My only gripe is with the tenons, which are very thin and can break more easily than others. I broke one of mine. But my pipes are about 10 years old, so maybe that's not an issue anymore. Anyway, from my sample I do not hesitate to recommend the brand.

I don't own or ever smoked an Ardor, therefore I can't comment on those.

Sasquatch":qnfmvv62 said:
Wiley cuts a comfortable button, but the stems are very thick, unacceptably so in my opinion. He bores them right out at 1/8" all the way through, so the airway is constant all the way, which may account for some of the smoking qualities. They smoke good and his oil curing tastes just fine. But they are heavy. So between the size of the wood and the thickness of the stem, they aren't clenchers.
You may have sold me, as I never clench, I prefer a heavier pipe to hold in my hand, makes it feel more durable to me:)
Thanks

monbla256":3m9tzgpz said:
Rusty Mouse":3m9tzgpz said:
monbla256":3m9tzgpz said:
Rusty Mouse":3m9tzgpz said:
Smokingpipes.com has got a nice selection of about 20 at the moment. When you say "any pipe the he made" do you mean he doesn't make all the pipes with his stamp on them personally? I was under the impression he made all the pipes himself. Then again, I've been so wrong before.
I was under a missunderstanding about his firm. My experience is only with a pipe made at that time. I did not mean that the newer ones were any less of a pipe. As a little side note he supposedly worked carving freehands for Edwards back in the 60s. None were marked as his work though which is to bad :p
I'll have to grab one for sure and we can compare his earlier work with today's! Somehow... You could send me yours! ;)

I'll toss my recommendation in for Wiley as well. Some of his freehands are stunners and the two that I've owned smoke like they were blessed by the pope. I've only got one left and it's the heaviest pipe I own. I generally prefer a lighter pipe, but this one is just so pretty and smokes so damn well that I can't let it go.

UberHuberMan":1gzvcgy9 said:
I'll toss my recommendation in for Wiley as well. Some of his freehands are stunners and the two that I've owned smoke like they were blessed by the pope. I've only got one left and it's the heaviest pipe I own. I generally prefer a lighter pipe, but this one is just so pretty and smokes so damn well that I can't let it go.
Why sure! I'll send it out you on the 31st of this month :p

The Edwards by my house stocks about 10-20 Wiley pipes. If I am not mistaken Randy's son does a lot of a the current Wiley's. I have been tempted more than once to walk out of the store with at least one in hand.

JVickers43":m222ujja said:
The Edwards by my house stocks about 10-20 Wiley pipes. If I am not mistaken Randy's son does a lot of a the current Wiley's. I have been tempted more than once to walk out of the store with at least one in hand.
I'd heard rumours of this but found nothing to substantiate it. Last I checked, Randy's son Nolan had started making some tampers, but I don't think I've seen anything more from him.

UberHuberMan":6mb1kvvh said:
JVickers43":6mb1kvvh said:
I'd heard rumours of this but found nothing to substantiate it. Last I checked, Randy's son Nolan had started making some tampers, but I don't think I've seen anything more from him.
Nor have I, but partners or not, I'm now the proud owner of a Wiley Patina Bent Dublin. Well, as soon as it gets to my door and passes my inspection of course :p

Rusty Mouse":lobessiz said:
UberHuberMan":lobessiz said:
JVickers43":lobessiz said:
Nor have I, but partners or not, I'm now the proud owner of a Wiley Patina Bent Dublin. Well, as soon as it gets to my door and passes my inspection of course :p
Congratulations! Pictures when it comes in, please! :)

Rusty Mouse":uo599gt1 said:
...and passes my inspection of course :p
...good luck and godspeed to that poor pipe... :lol!:

8)

I look forward to your picture-heavy report!

UberHuberMan":7w608u0m said:
Rusty Mouse":7w608u0m said:
UberHuberMan":7w608u0m said:
JVickers43":7w608u0m said:
Congratulations! Pictures when it comes in, please! :)
You can count on it.