Rarer Gawith Ropes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsahearn

Reaction score
Hiya boys, has anyone tried some of the more hard to find in the US Gawith ropes? Mrsnuff has a big selection. I am curious about Sam Gawith Rope no 4 Rum, Aromatic & Whiskey. Also the GH Vanilla Rope. Does anyone know of a Rope with a heavy lakeland (floral/soapy) flavor? How is the topping on GH whiskey?

I haven't run into any GH ropes with their various floral scents yet; they tend to run more towards fruit or alcohol flavors. You might try Sam Gawith's RB Plug instead of a rope; that has the strongest floral/spices combination I've come across

Yes love RB although I think Cannon beats it in floral strength. I have some Aniseed rope by GH which has a heavy topping similar to Rum flake. It's the only rope i've come across with an identifiable topping, but there most be more

Bugsahearn":gnlq9z0m said:
Yes love RB although I think Cannon beats it in floral strength. I have some Aniseed rope by GH which has a heavy topping similar to Rum flake. It's the only rope i've come across with an identifiable topping, but there most be more
Mr Snuff in Northern Ireland has all sorts of fun stuff, many listed under 'smokeless' and then the twist tobacco

Doc do you find the whiskey on the GH rope to be noticeable? It seems like some GH ropes have a distinct topping while others are barely if at all detectable. Have you smoked the SG flavored ropes

Bugsahearn":2aoc092k said:
Doc do you find the whiskey on the GH rope to be noticeable? It seems like some GH ropes have a distinct topping while others are barely if at all detectable. Have you smoked the SG flavored ropes
In the case of the sweet whiskey, I thought it was more occasionally noticeable, more of an aftertaste. The Rum in the Sweet Rum is more noticeable, but so far the strongest flavored of the ones I've tried has been the plum Note that the little twist & pigtail GH samples Mr Snuff sells as Sweet Blank Twist or Pigtail seem sweeter than what we get in the US -- or at least I do (you can get a Sweet Rum Twist from Mars to compare, for example), perhaps because they are sold more for chewing?

AS for SG, I haven't run into their flavored ropes yet

I concur. The sweet twists are pretty widely available, are not overly flavored and seem designed to be just "sweet" enough to take the edge off. I think the rum twist is sweeter and slightly more flavored than the whiskey but both are worthy. The coconut twist is just...wrong.  The maple twist is fine. Those are the ones I've tried. I'm thinkin' there must be a cherry out there somewhere. The rum twist is like old faithful. (Yeah, I just looked at Mars. They do have a Black Cherry Twist).

I look at the ropes, twists & tails of the Gawith world as being like the Swiss Army Tobaccos. Smoke 'em, chew 'em, stick 'em in yer ear! Whatever. Designed for a slow contemplative smoke in a refined Briar while cuddled in front of an inn's warm hearth...or a chaw while on watch at the top o the mast is a gale. Very Hardy. Very dependable. Get yer six inch daily ration from the quartermaster.

Lol poor coconut twist just never gets any love. It's not a bad smoke but I do get the whole it just seems wrong bit. Every time I light it up I start looking around to see where the sun tan lotion is.

The sweet rum twist has to be my favorite. More flavor than any of the others I've tried. The cherry isn't awful but don't expect a lot of cherry from it it's more of a scented tobacco if you ask me.

Thanks for the opinions. I hope to get my hands on some of the Samuel Gawith aromatic ropes someday, I've tried the cinnamon but it was just a rope with ground cinnamon poured on lol. I'm very interested in the SG no 4 "Aromatic" rope....sounds like it might have a grousemoor type of topping or something!

NVM doesn't sound the Aromatic rope has a grousemoor topping but whats described as tonquin or caramel on TR