Rattray

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark,
Thanks for that trip down memory lane !! Your catalog looks to be older than mine which I got when in Hong Kong while on R&R during 'Nam. I tryed and bought Red Rapparee then and when I got back stateside, They only sold it in the round 4 oz cutter top tins back then. I smoked it till the late '70s when it was no longer made in Scotland and the firm was bought by another blender. The blends made today are not really like what came out of Scotland back then but are still unique and GOOD blends for sure !! Again THANKS !! :twisted: :twisted:

One of the interesting points in the booklet.. Different tobacco blends had different prices. Just imagine the pipe forum cry if a blending house tried that today.

puros_bran":90dstsn2 said:
One of the interesting points in the booklet..  Different tobacco blends had different prices.     Just imagine the pipe forum cry if a blending house tried that today.
Was more common than you think and Dunhill still does it today! Royal Yacht and Dunhill Flake are priced higher than 965 or Durbar for example !! :twisted: :twisted:

Mark that was a fantastic find - really fun reading, that.

I didn't see a date in there...any idea whenabouts this is from?

idbowman":wwxgrlue said:
Mark that was a fantastic find - really fun reading, that.

I didn't see a date in there...any idea whenabouts this is from?
My catalog that I got back in '69 is exactly the same as his 'cept the tins shown are the ROUND 4 oz CUTTER TOP tins as opposed to the Squareish 4 oz tins shown in his catalog. My understanding is that they used the squarish tins till the early '60s so his catalog would definately be pre-'60s from what I can tell. Mine does not have a publication date printed on it but that's not unusual as many firms didn't date stuff back then. :twisted: :twisted:

ftrplt":uqo3kjrq said:
Question...When did Marlin Flake make its appearance:?: FTRPLT
At the B&M where I used to get my RR I don't recall seeing it till the mid '80s, way after the original Scottish firm had been sold and other's were belnding their mixtures.

All good mixtures are short... All good mixtures are dry...
Contrary to popular belief, the air-tight container is not the best method of packing--the vacuumised tin is necessary when water has been added--with rare choice leaf this is never done.

My brands are packed in 1/4 lb. tins and 1/2 lb. tins but not hermetically sealed unless for tropical countries where there is great humidity.

Tobacco is a vegetable that lives and breathes: it does not improve by being imprisoned in an air-tight compartment.

Further evidence of this is the fact that the choicest cigars are always packed in a plain cedar wood box from which the air has not been excluded.
Propaganda, sales or not, they didn't have an Internet to argue upon back then. :lol: How "lucky" we are. :mrgreen:

8)

puros_bran":qs3pjwak said:
One of the interesting points in the booklet..  Different tobacco blends had different prices.     Just imagine the pipe forum cry if a blending house tried that today.
Interesting you should say that. I have recently discovered the blending greatness of Peretti, and their blends have a variety of prices. It's not all over the map but in their Englishes, Royal Blend is more expensive than say Crown or D-9575. All their Flakes are a $1.05 more per ounce than the top shelf Englishes. Goes to show the time that goes into making them as well as the cost of the ingredients..

Uhles also... Seems like Boswell does the same but it's been so long since I looked at their site I could be in error.

monbla256":kn25hdjm said:
ftrplt":kn25hdjm said:
At the B&M where I used to get my RR I don't recall seeing it till the mid '80s, way after the original Scottish firm had been sold and other's were blending their mixtures.
Thanks for the info!! :D I've never smoked much Rattray's; not much up on their history. Who blended/blends their product now?? FTRPLT

ftrplt":kas9pvge said:
monbla256":kas9pvge said:
ftrplt":kas9pvge said:
At the B&M where I used to get my RR I don't recall seeing it till the mid '80s, way after the original Scottish firm had been sold and other's were blending their mixtures.
Thanks for the info!! :D I've never smoked much Rattray's; not much up on their history. Who blended/blends their product now?? FTRPLT
I think K&K in Germany who blends it now.

http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/?article/search/0/category=20/__boolop__=AND/destination=228:results/__layout__=533/ex_creferenz_marke=681/__export__=781/ref_pfeifentabak

That was a great read. The man seemed very passionate about his business. I liked the way the guy spoke on dry tobacco being better. Personally, I noticed that the mixtures they produce are better a bit on the dry side. I'm not sure if it just my taste on that one. No mention of my favorite of theirs highland targe either. It must be a newer mixture

MisterE":p3ljg86p said:
ftrplt":p3ljg86p said:
monbla256":p3ljg86p said:
ftrplt":p3ljg86p said:
I think K&K in Germany who blends it now.

http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/?article/search/0/category=20/__boolop__=AND/destination=228:results/__layout__=533/ex_creferenz_marke=681/__export__=781/ref_pfeifentabak
And I thank you for the kind response!! FTRPLT