Rattray's Brown Clunee

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddler

Reaction score
The question came up in the daily smokes thread as to what Brown Clunee is like. Here's a review I did recently.

Brown Clunee always seems to be an "also-ran". Seldom mentioned by itself & only sometimes during discussions of Rattray's big Va blends (HOTW, Marlin Flake & Old Gowrie). And sometimes it doesn't even make that list. To me Brown Clunee is a worthy blend - if you like an earthy smoke. I sometimes place it as part of the Brown Va's - SG BBF, GH Brown #2 & Germain's Brown Flake. There are similarities amongst these.

The earthiness hits one straight away in the tin aroma, which is a heady blend of richness - over-ripe figs & stewed prunes mainly - & freshly turned earth - as in a ploughed field.

The Rattray description is "Dark in color, but mild is the only way to describe this blend. What we wish to convey to the reader that it is gentle to the palate."
That is quite accurate - it is a gentle blend, an easy smoke. According to TR, it's a Va/Bur/Per blend. It certainly is a harmonious one. To my taste it is Va dominant with the Burley & Perique playing supportive roles.

The taste in the first half of the bowl is pretty much the same way it smells, with the earthiness (dry not musty but certainly not dusty) to the fore. There is some sweetness to it too but not cloying in any way - & this develops as the smoke progresses. The Perique lends the merest touch of spiciness while the Burley fills out the blend without introducing the usual Burley nuttiness. I can also detect faint whiffs of citrus peel.

During the second half of the bowl the earthiness diminishes & becomes more creamy while the spiciness picks up a notch.

This is not a complex tobacco. Some might even call it unidimensional. I think that's a bit unfair. There is enough going on to keep one interested but not so much as to require all your attention.

I rate the Rattray Va blends highly. Brown Clunee is a favourite of mine & well deserves a try - if you love earthy Va blends

Thanks for posting your fine review! For sure Brown Clunee seems to be an overlooked offering (step child?) of Rattray's line of pipe tobacco with Hal, Marlin and Old G. getting the most attention. It's one of my favorite smokes and I refer to it as a sweet and sour VA.

I've often wondered if Rattray's statement: "Dark in color, but mild is the only way to describe this blend" gives the wrong impression and steers people away. While there are certainly some stronger blends available I wouldn't classify this blend as "mild".

Jim

Thanks for posting this review! I found it very helpful. SG's BBF is one of my favs. And I have been going through a lot of Old Gowrie over the past two years. Can't believe I haven't given Brown Clunee a go. I guess I'm guilty of overlooking it due to all the hype surrounding the other big 3

I like Brown Clunee, but I also feel that
it doesn't quite measure up to the Big Three.
I also tried Dark Fragrant and didn't find it
nearly as good as the other Rattray Virginias.
(HOTW is one of my top favorites.)

I recently bought a few things from an older gentleman in my area who had to give up smoking and in it were 8 4 oz tins of BC from 2000. I had never tried it before so I opened a tin and thought it was very good then put it away to breath for about a week. On Sunday I have 3 friends over to the cave for football everybody brings a tin or bulk to sample and the BC was very much the favorite im sure the ageing helped but still for a VA smoker give it a try.

Haven't had Brown Clunee for 10 yrs or more. Used to enjoy it.

Perhaps I'll pick up a tin and see what it's up to these days. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,

RR

Just finished my first bowl of BC from a sample sent to me by the generous and classy Ol'Dawg.

Very good stuff. Not quite "mild" but definitely medium bodied. Pretty darn close to Old Gowrie in terms of flavor. I could smoke BC for breakfast, lunch, and then Old Gowrie for dinner--if that makes sense. The sidestreem is toasty and nutty with less spice than OG. In fact, I sort of wish there was a more pronounced perique content but I suspect that's a main difference between BC and OG. I could be wrong but I get the impression that there is very little perique or KY in BC. To me that might be what gives this blend it's place amongst the other big 3. Easy to smoke, and the nuance is there if you look but you can just as easily sit back and let it smolder.