Rattray's Marlin Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just posted on TR and reproduced here for your edification:

Rattray’s Marlin flake

[align=justify]A rolled belt of long dark brown flake streaked, veined, and flecked with brown and tan. Exceedingly moist in the tin, this sliced belt offers a rich, sweet bouquet of brown sugar, wood, and fresh earth with a slightly piquant top note reminiscent of stewed figs.

Pressed and stoved, according to its present manufacturer, Kohlhase & Kopp, Marlin flake is a “dark flake comprised of dark Virginia, jet black Cavendish, and a whisper of Perique” (= dunkle Flake setzt sich zusammen aus Dark Virginia, tiefschwarzem Cavendish und einem Hauch Perique). In terms of presentation, the overall effect is that of a somewhat oily, dark stoved and pressed Virginia flake cut into a supple belt which requires both careful preparation and substantial drying time. In this, Marlin Flake stands out only as a typical representative of the genre.

Properly prepared, Marlin Flake packs and burns well, offering a range of sweet and earthly flavors and appears to possess enough complexity to maintain ones attention as the bowl progresses. While quite subdued, the Perique is noticeable now and again as is the slightly creamy body lent to the smoke by the Cavendish. As to be expected, however, it is the sugar-sauced and stoved Virginias which take center stage. Medium to heavy bodied with a sweet, rich, and occasionally bright finish, this is a flake which takes itself seriously. Quick to reward gentle puffing, it can bite if abused.

Despite the obviously heavy hand with the humectants and, unconfirmed but likely use of the preservative cocktails typical among the big European blending houses (e.g., potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, etc.), it should age well.

Overall, like many Kohlhase & Kopp offerings Marlin Flake is what it is. While devotees of the genre might find it worthy of some attention, to this reviewer – who prefers his VAPERS, flake or otherwise, and their ilk unstoved and less processed – the whole effect is rather uninspiring. On top of this, given the size of the tin, in this case a 100g. tumbler, the presentation is bit disconcerting – why waste all that space just for the sake of uniform packaging in the line to which this particular preparation belongs? 100 grams of such a densely pressed flake does not take up much space at all. I suspect the 50g. tin presents a similar conundrum, although like the rest of K&K’s Rattray’s ‘British Line’ Marlin Flake is, however, readily available in bulk. I for one, however, will not be cellaring quantities anytime soon.[/align]

Actually Kapnis it's a wonderful review...

however, I love Marlin Flake and have a number of tins aging....

one of my top favourites.... then again I have many that I love.

Marlin Flake is one of the so called "Holy Trinity" with Hal 'o the Wynd and Old Gowrie... all a "cut above the rest" IMHO.

Slow Puffs":v7j43y1l said:
Marlin Flake is one of the so called "Holy Trinity" with Hal 'o the Wynd and Old Gowrie... all a "cut above the rest" IMHO.
In another forum that I belonged, the Trinity was Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and Three Friars.

If you guys like these that much, it makes them a must-try in my book.

Texas Outlaw":p0bw7jff said:
Slow Puffs":p0bw7jff said:
In another forum that I belonged, the Trinity was Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and Three Friars.

If you guys like these that much, it makes them a must-try in my book.
Damn, I thought the Trinity was: Onions, Celery and Bell Pepper.

All the more need to promote tolerance among blend lovers :lol:

Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and Three Friars are a Trinity of worthy blends. I have a good supply of them as well.

But there is one HOLY Trinity: Marlin Flake, Hal 'o the Wynd and Old Gowrie. This devotion goes way back in time, way before this "new age worship" of younger gods became vogue :twisted:

Slow Puffs":18haqnfv said:

Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and Three Friars are a Trinity of worthy blends. I have a good supply of them as well.

But there is one HOLY Trinity: Marlin Flake, Hal 'o the Wynd and Old Gowrie. This devotion goes way back in time, way before this "new age worship" of younger gods became vogue :twisted:
I keep all six of those (total weight about 9 lbs.)

Slow Puffs":j9nnwyj7 said:

The Trinity has now been ordered...

Hermit":crk60xeg said:
LOL Hermit I thought so too. Guess that's the Holy Trinity of Chili spices. These nuts are talking about tobacco again.

And no one even MENTIONED Club Blend...

Outlaw, you are gonna need to dedicate a whole different 150 pipes or so!

I've got 8oz. left from a pound I got 2 years ago,it's really pricey now,went up
to $60 a lb. 6 months ago.I like it from time to time in a big Ardor.
At the pipe show there is an old woman who is the rep. for Rattrays and she
scolded me for trying to take a sample in a baggie.I tried to reason with her but
she was pissed I wanted to take a sample home. :x She'll allow you to fill your pipe
and that's all.I will bring my giant Ardor with a 1" bore and 3" deep and fill that,then
put it in a baggie! :p

Winslow :sunny:

I believe the term for monsters like that is "borrowing pipe", Winslow. I do the same. "Can I try a pipeful of that?" and whip out a 3" tall x 1" freehand and tamp about 15 grams into it. :albino:

Sasquatch":l80sor7v said:
Hermit":l80sor7v said:
LOL Hermit I thought so too. Guess that's the Holy Trinity of Chili spices. These nuts are talking about tobacco again.

And no one even MENTIONED Club Blend...

Outlaw, you are gonna need to dedicate a whole different 150 pipes or so!
Squatch,
these blends require a dedicated pipes? Do they ghost more than usual??

Slow Puffs":08ieutjg said:

LOL...As it other aspects in life New religions do pop up......I would say Three Friars, Old Joe, and Three Friars are the Holy Trinity of Burlyphiles...
Marlin, Gowie, and Hal the Trinity of Scottish Vas.....For me- Capstan, StBruno, and Marlin would be my personal........

Back on topic though- Great review....If if we don't agree..... :D

Outlaw, I find large freehands best for onions, but bell peppers work better in pots. :D

I was really just teasing you, TO, cuz you've got a million pipes and now you've got "reason" to buy some more!

I don't find these "pure" virginias ghost pipes at all, but they are certainly affected by ghosts of other tobaccos, so you need a clean pipe to enjoy them at their best, is what I find.

Sometimes MF is absolutely superb, and makes me stop whatever I'm doing and embrace it. Other times it's just good.

The tin I last opened had the opposite effect; it made my tongue feel like it's covered with dog hair. My smoking method hasn't changed. Could be a bad batch or that body chemistry thing.
Based on the wonderful experiences I've still got 6 tins but haven't given up on it yet.

Sasquatch":621fmz7p said:
Outlaw, I find large freehands best for onions, but bell peppers work better in pots. :D

I was really just teasing you, TO, cuz you've got a million pipes and now you've got "reason" to buy some more!

I don't find these "pure" virginias ghost pipes at all, but they are certainly affected by ghosts of other tobaccos, so you need a clean pipe to enjoy them at their best, is what I find.
Oh okay, hehe. That went right over my head.

I do NOT have a million pipes only 120

(thousand)
8)

I think that Marlin Flake is the best blend in Rattary's line. I have a couple of kilos in the cellar and haven't bought any in a few years. I sure hope it hasn't changed.