Rattray's Pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsu92john

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Rattray's pipes? There are some handsome ones on SmokingPipes.com--very much classic and traditional shapes. My understanding is that they are made by Butz-Choquin; the one B-C pipe I own is a terrible smoker.

Thoughts?

I don't have any experience with Rattray's, but it is my understanding that they are made by B-C and at least two others ... like yourself, I've asked about them and have been told they're generally worth their price ...

fsu92john":fu4uvw2e said:
Anyone have experience with Rattray's pipes? There are some handsome ones on SmokingPipes.com--very much classic and traditional shapes. My understanding is that they are made by Butz-Choquin; the one B-C pipe I own is a terrible smoker.

Thoughts?
Just like a lot of pipe makers, they got good pipes and not so good and the price usually dictates this. I have several BC's and they all smoke good. You wouldn't think the mechanics of the pipe would change with the price but, sometimes it does sadly.

I have had Rattray's pipes on my radar for a while now and really like the shapes amd finishes that I've seen. Being made by Butz Choquin is fine by me because being a Canuck I love French pipes. :D 

I have 2 Rattray's, a Cutty and a four square walled billiard. You're right these pipes are made by BC, Chacom and 2 particular pipemakers in Italy. To my opinion they are good smokers, worth the price I'd paid for.

Nice find Roth. I know Don personally, a great guy, well repected businessman. Interesting to know about the "no more" American style pipe without filter. Thanks for the heads up.

I was just watching some videos of Rattray's pipes over on Al Pascia. I can't comment on their performance or internals, but the look very well made. It got me interested in them, too.

I have been eyeing up the Celtic series form rattrays. they seem to be a good pipe.

I had not heard of them until about two months ago. I have experience with BC, which I sold on here I believe, and it was an excellent smoker. Other than that, who knows really.

rothnh":h61gjamx said:
I was looking at this Rattray Morta from Don Seatter.  Don says Rattray has discontinued all but the 9 mm filtered mortas from this line, so the unfiltered version is rare now -- looks like a great pipe for the price.

http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/store.php?seller=JamesIslandPiper&navt1=110811&sort=&pd=7825021
That's not a bad looking pipe but I am reserved because of the price. If I were going to throw down that kind of dough for a pipe, a morta no less, I'd probably look to an artisan maker.

I have a highland bent bulldog and it's one of my regular go to pipes. My advice is if you don't use filters purchase the adapter.

joshoowah":x85rvyjc said:
That's not a bad looking pipe but I am reserved because of the price.  If I were going to throw down that kind of dough for a pipe, a morta no less, I'd probably look to an artisan maker.
I certainly hear you and, to some extent, agree.

For my first morta, I was looking at Chris Askwith, Max Rimensi (Il Duca) and our own Todd Harris. Turns out Todd, who initially, had trouble sourcing the bog oak I required, came though. I now own 2 Todd Harris morta pipes and I couldn't be more pleased.

Now, regarding the Rattray pipes, I stand behind their value and this (from Don) is (was?) one's last chance on getting one (unfiltered at least). But that said, truth be known, when going for one's first morta, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Todd Harris.

That said, one issue (not a problem for me, but it may be for you) is that when dealing with an artisan versus ordering a pipe readily available from an online vendor, the customer will need to be patient -- making a proper artisan pipe takes time --often months. Also artisans' commissions require a certain ability from the customer to relay specific requirements and, of course, is dovetailed inextricably with the artisan's ability to work with the client to deliver the expected product.

Morta? You're looking at well above $200. $400 is not uncommon.

There's some really nice Rattray pipes and there are some real dog Rattray pipes, depends on your own personal taste I guess, been tempted by a couple of pipes in the past but never had the cash free to pull the trigger. Most folk who own one seem to find them pretty good pipes, never known anyone to rant about them like a Dunhill or a Downie but they by all accounts do seem to smoke well enough.

Got to say I am rather keen on the Reserve collection, they do look quite tasty: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/76325/rattray-reserve/