Rattray's recommendations?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roogles, here's a riddle wrapped in an enigma: There are only two counties in Kentucky that qualify for federal funds under one of U.S. Representative Hal Rodgers 'pork programs' for eastern Kentucky. One of them is Clay County and the other is not.

Kyle Weiss":385i81r4 said:
docwatson":385i81r4 said:
Jock's Mixture is one of my favorite Rattray blends. It's a mild English with some cavendish. I find that it changes flavor nicely through the bowlful and can be an all day smoke for me. 7 Reserve is also a nice medium English that has a very pleasant flavor of Latakia that is not overpowering. Personally I'd take Hermits suggestion and make an offer to buy him out. Like I tell everyone, "tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today".
Doc, about "Jocks Mixture", is Rattray's use of Cavendish as appropriate in this blend as I suspect it is? I hate it when Cavendish overwhelms the blend and imparts too sweet or thick a character. I trust Rattray's, but thought I'd ask...
English cavendish is not the same as American cavendish. The English variety, is an unsweetened brown variety, and will not add sweetness to a blend.

All the Rattray's blends are high quality stuff. I like 7 Reserve, Red Rap, Black Mallory, HOTW, Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake, and others, buy them all.

Smoker99":zlmdmjej said:
English cavendish is not the same as American cavendish. The English variety, is an unsweetened brown variety, and will not add sweetness to a blend.
Good tip, thank you. No wonder I've been happier with English blends with Cavendish in them. They seem to impart body and a wonderful waxiness I particularly enjoy.

Well, Penny (his wife) had called everone in his phonebook to invite them to the 'inventory clearance' if they were a pipe smoker. Anyone on the list was allowed into the store while it was closed for 'inventory'.

I got there about an hour before they were scheduled to re-open (11:00 AM) and got to watch guys leaving with their take. :cry:

When the store finally opened, the section of pipe tobacco was almost all stripped. I did get 4 tins of Rattrays, a tin of Mac Baren Vintage Syrian, and :face: a tin of SG Black XX Rope which Penny found under the counter.

There was a gentleman there, a Mr. Patel, who is the prospective buyer. The only pipe tobacco that was not on clearance was PA, SWR, and CH; although the large cans of Carter Hall had been taken at regular price.

Anyway, a 250 mile round-trip on the motorcycle, help out one of my wife's former classmates, and did get to snag some weed for the cellar. All in all, a good day.

I have about 15 tins of rattrays left from the 80's/90's and every time I open a tin it's like Christmas morning