RE: building my first pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
I have been bitten by the pipe building bug and have a couple of questions before I begin. I know from owning pipes and smoking them that the interior shape of the bowl is an inverted cone, is there a problem making width of the tobacco chamber equal from top to bottom, i.e not conical?

Also is it preferable to drill the draft hole before the tobacco chamber? Or does it matter?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Ed

if you do not have a conical bowl then your air hole doesnt come in at the bottom of the bowl, meaning that tobacco will not have a correct orientation to the draw. You can grind a spade bit into a conical bit pretty easy.

I prefer to drill the airway first, and then carefully drill the tobacco champer down to it, checking every 1/8 of an inch when I get close as to not over drill it. But this is preference. It is my advice however to order some kits for your first few pipes. Then the mechanics are all right, and you can focus on making it pretty.

rev

Rev, I figured there was a practical / engineering reason that the tobacco chamber was conical. Thanks for clarifying. And yes, I'm beginning with kits for the first several pipes for that very reason, that I don't have to worry about the engineering and can concentrate on the shape.

Thanks again,
Ed