RE: Cigar like pipe tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
Hello all,

Anyone have a suggestion for a pipe tobacco that has a lot of cigar leaf or made entirely from cigar leaf? I've read the description regarding GLP's Robusto, has anyone smoked it?

Thanks Ed

I don't believe there's a to-buy mixture of pipe 'bacca made entirely of cigar leaf.

GLP Robusto, so far, is my cigar-leaf-included mixture of choice at the moment, from what I've tried. The others that include it seem to use it more for thickening the flavor rather than adding to it, but with Robusto, you actually get the sense there's some cigar leaf that holds its own when smoked. Provided you're okay with Latakia, it's pretty bold and delicious.

P&W Churchill has a goodly amount of cigar leaf. You can plainly see it.

At the same time it doesn't taste like a cigar. Just adds some complexity.

Smoking a bowl as I type.....

8)

Cheers,

RR

Try Pease's Key Largo. I read that Señor Pease himself keeps Key Largo on hand this time of year, as it is a "summery" blend. Creamy is the best word I can use to describe it. And I like it better than Robusto. ;)

Steps up to the pulpit... 

Sermon of the week: cigar leaf in pipe blends. 

Bullet points: 1. The reason blenders use cigar leaf in pipe blends is NOT to have a blend that tastes like a cigar (yuk!) but to capture the benefits of a condimental level and make the blend better. 

2. There ARE pure cigar leaf 'blends' 1st that you can get. Cornell & Diehl and McClelland have 'blending' tobaccos that many vendors stock. While they are not meant to be used alone, they can be. 

3. Robert McConnell (the brand) has several entries into the cigar blend arena that named for their cigar leaf origin. If that makes any sense. 

4. Using the advanced search engine at the review site...and plugging 'cigar leaf' as the sole variable...I got over 70 blends. That's a lot. My favorites among the would be:

a. Any blend by John Patton (find at 4 - Noggins) that has cigar leaf. To me, John is the supreme being of blenders and has many blends containing the leaf. 
b. Stogie (Pipes & Cigars) 
c. The Bankers (James Fox) 
d. Wilke's Churchill (Pipeworks & Wilke) 

Now, all that being said, if you want a pipe blend that has distinct cigar notes...that would be Gawith & Hogwarts 'Dark Flake'. 

Lastly...I tried to develop a personal blend that had a strong cigar like flavor...named it "Old Bitchslap" - but it didn't work out well. The BATF came down on me for buying Cubans and the fines nearly bankrupted me.  Nuff said.

Patton's Storm Front is what got me into cigar leaf blends. In fact I enjoyed the component so thoroughly, that whilst I was trying my hand at blending I seemed to always find an excuse to include it in one of my creations.

Wilke's Churchill is definitely on my to-do list.

If you want a 100% cigar blend, smoke a cigar! :D

The different types of tobacco used in a cigar for the filler, wrapper and how it's combined and rolled help enhance the experience. A 100% blend seems like it would be a little weird IMO.

Tried to use a quote but this new system works like s###t :twisted: If you want the flavor of a cigar, smoke a cigar :twisted:

try something heavy with kentucky, that's what solved that craving for me. also bayou evening is kind of cigary to me. HH ODF definitely hits the spot for a nice robust smoke. but if you want a cigar, smoke a cigar. if you want a nice in your face big bold dark flavor, try the tobaccos above. good luck!

Billy Budd is a good one, made for the late Sailorman Jack. He used to add even more cigar leaf to it. GH Dark Flake Unscented is a good one also. GH uses a lot of African and Indian tobacco which imparts the cigarish taste to a blend.