Re-lights

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tperoda85

Reaction score
Any of you guys nurse a bowl throughout the day?

Are there any rules saying I cant pack a pipe, smoke half of it, dump the ash, tamp, and save for later?

Tyler

It happens to me...all the time...that I get to smoke about a quarter of any given bowl and don't get back to it until the next day. Some little person always needs something just about the time I get all set up and ready to relax....go figure :lol:

haha good to know! Im glad it happens and is ok! Theres alot of folklore out there about pipes. Ive heard that letting tobacco sit in there for an hour or more is bad for it. Glad thats not the case!

It's more common than you might think. DGT is the acronym we like to use (delayed gratification technique). Some 'baccys respond better to this than others as well.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":9e8lka5g said:
It's more common than you might think. DGT is the acronym we like to use (delayed gratification technique). Some 'baccys respond better to this than others as well.

Cheers,

RR
...flaked 'ginnys I believe Rande??

Stick":kphghcq4 said:
Brewdude":kphghcq4 said:

Cheers,

RR
...flaked 'ginnys I believe Rande??
Now then, how did you know mate?!

;)

Cheers,

RR

I'm not a fan of relighting a bowl that's been sitting until it's cold. Moisture builds up in the stem on down to the bottom of the bowl as it cools and to me it just tastes bad so I avoid it.

That's not to say I won't do it if I have to; I hate wasting tobacco. 8)

Never do it, I either finish the bowl or dump it out. Just don't like it sitting there stinking up the room. Now that doesn't mean that no one should do it or not do it. I have a way to sensitive nose and that's why I smoke outside or on occasion in my shop, because lets face it, who cares what the shop smells like as long as I don't have to sleep in it. ;)

I used to DGT quite a bit. I always had best results with folded flakes. Mixtures, or rubbed out flakes I found would usually bitter in the pipe when coming to them the next day. Now I try to finish the bowl or pack half bowls or smoke smaller pipes when I am short on time.

My two cents - I don't care for the taste after a bowl has sat too long. I smoke it and if i'm interrupted and the bowl is cold - I dump it out. That said, it's mind over matter. If you don't mind then it doesn't matter.

I have the no smoking inside rule at my place. I just don't want the house smelling like an ashtray. So there are many times when I light up and then need to run in for something, set the pipe down, and even hours later come back to it. The only tobaccos that complain are the Aromatics. If there is a breeze though, I've come back to it only to find ash in the bowl.

Yah, don't worry about it, smoke is smoke........

+1 what the Wizard said. No hard and fast rule. Run a pipe cleaner thru the stem, set 'er down and relight 20 minutes to an hour later, no problem. Seems to work better with Burleys than aros.

tperoda85":rwhjh8jq said:

Are there any rules saying I cant pack a pipe, smoke half of it, dump the ash, tamp, and save for later?

Tyler
First off, THERE ARE NO RULES!! There are many different WAYS of enjoying this endever, but no real RULES!! :twisted:  That said, I've DGT'd for as long as I've been smoking a pipe mainly because I'm CHEAP and don't like to dump out still smokeable 'baccy !! :twisted: :twisted:  Take your time and you will find some 'baccy does it better or some pipes do, just try different variations and your mouth will tell you what works. :twisted: :twisted:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZQEIh-USkQE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I'm probably the worst offender in this regard. If I set it and forget about it till the next day I'll just stick it in the rack and come back to it in a week or so. I have left a few as long as 6 months. Just be sure to blow through the tobacco a few times to bring the moisture back up a bit before you light it.

tperoda85":5atttugc said:

Tyler
There are no rules in pipe smoking. I am always allowing a pipe to go out and the relighting sometime later. I just insert a pipe cleaner through the stem into the bowl to wick up any moisture that may form. When I'm ready to finish the bowl I just remove the cleaner, dump the ash, tamp, and relight. Usually the flavor has improved quite a bit. YMMV.  :)

AJ