RE: Murrays Yachtsman Navy Plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jers

Reaction score
My brother very kindly gifted me this - any advice on the best / easiest way to prepare and smoke it would be much appreciated.

It should be interesting.....

Fraternally

Jers

I think you have it figured out already seeing the pocket knife in the photo. If you are smoking indoors I slice the plug very thin for a nice easy draw and burn. If I'm smoking outdoors I chunk the plug a bit coarse because the breezes and outside movement keeps the tobacco burning a bit hotter and faster. The moisture content of the plug is another variable. I prefer my tobacco on the real dry side to eliminate a wet smoke, just have to sip the tobacco more gently to avoid any tongue bite. Great looking plug by the way. Murray's is great tobacco. Enjoy.

Thanks Doc - I knew it needed cut, and like everything there is a wealth of (sometimes contradictory) information on the web.

I wanted advice from somebody that knew what worked for them. I've gone for the thin slices - I went for 3 in a Pete 03. I think 2 or 2 1/2 next time.

Very nice smoke - I think I'm really sold on this!

Thanks again Doc for the advice.....worth waiting for!

Much appreciated

Jers

If you want your socks knocked off with flavor intensity, put it in a food grinder & shred it.

:face:

Yak":i8ns94g3 said:
If you want your socks knocked off with flavor intensity, put it in a food grinder & shred it.

Thanks Yak - are you serious or should I add that suggestion to my list that contains swimming with sharks, Australian Crocodile Rodeo and Bomb Disposal?
:lol!:

I must say that I really enjoyed smoking the plug. :D

I put 3 thin slices into a Pete 03 and for me that was at least one slice too many. It's a nice cool and flavoursome smoke but a strong baccy (for me). I think I'd have to work up to increasing the nicotine hit.....

Fraternally

Jers

People seriously do that. I know some. And with stout Lakeland ropes/plugs.

Yak":twz1qzxk said:
People seriously do that. I know some. And with stout Lakeland ropes/plugs.

Impressive! I believe that the last man in Ireland capable of such a feat was Finn McCool..... ;)

I've only had one smoke at it but I can see Murray's Yachtsman becoming a regular tobacco for me......I'll know better by the time I've finished the plug.

Thanks

Jers

Jers, I second Yaks' recommendation. I use a whirly grinder, such as is used for coffee/spices.

I do this regularly on firm Brit plugs such as Revor, since they don't respond well for me any other way.

It shreds them pretty good for packing, but I also don't pulverise them. Just a couple quick pulses to render them into smallish bits is all that is required. And then I let them dry a bit as well and pack somewhat loosely.

Works for me.

HTH.

Cheers,

RR

Anyone got an etailer for Murray's tobaccos? I've been searching and not finding. Thanks.

kaiser83":j08iv44l said:
Anyone got an etailer for Murray's tobaccos? I've been searching and not finding. Thanks.
Mr Snuff sells Murray's Warrior Plug

Brewdude":onz4222m said:
Jers, I second Yaks' recommendation. I use a whirly grinder, such as is used for coffee/spices.

I do this regularly on firm Brit plugs such as Revor, since they don't respond well for me any other way.

It shreds them pretty good for packing, but I also don't pulverise them. Just a couple quick pulses to render them into smallish bits is all that is required. And then I let them dry a bit as well and pack somewhat loosely.

Works for me.

HTH.

Cheers,

RR
Thanks Brewdude - it will be something I'll try after having a few more smokes. I don't own a coffee/spice grinder however my brother does (an electric coffee grinder) - I will have to see if he will let me borrow it.

Yak - sorry for every doubting you.

Thanks guys

Jers

...a fairly mild plug as Warrior is the strongest plug from Murrays. ...The blender may work, I prefer to slice plugs a medium thickness and then fold, tear, and stuff it into the bowl...I've prepared plugs this way for 40 + years and never had an issues with lighting or smoking... :cheers:

Yep Peter - the slice, fold twice, loosen and stuff method seems to work very well - especially now I'm using less slices and leaving a good air pocket at the bottom of the bowl.

I find the flavour of the Yachtsman lovely and mellow but when smoking it yesterday I noted again it's strength in nicotine in comparison to the aromatics I normally smoke.

Murray's Yachtsman Plug really is lovely stuff - its replacing Peterson Connoisseur's Choice as my morning smoke today. I've ordered a few more 50g packs of Yachtsman yesterday - so I can keep a stock handy. I've also got a tin of Peterson 3P's coming - I'll be interested to see how that compares.
:cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

Welp I got a second pouch of this from Jers today so i popped open the first. Used a knife and started slicing. Not long ways, I have this tendency with plugs to start along the corners and end up cutting it into a flat circle as I cut bits off. Gravity fed it into my Pete IMA69, KV put gravity fed into his black briar as well for our afternoon smoke.

It lights very very easily and with just the gravity feed into the pipe it has yet to clog up on me as I am smoking it right now. I can say I am honestly impressed by the press of this plug, I think I could beat KV in the head with it and knock him out cold in one whack. I can definitely taste the Burley and Virginias but there is something else in there I can't quite discern. I looked onto TR and they say there is some sort of aro in there but I am not getting that. It is definitely a strongish plug, not quite up to the same strength as Triple Play and from the reviews not as strong as Warrior will be when I try it, but still has some kick to it. Definitely a good morning or mid-day smoke to get your pep up. I was marginally expecting, based on how dark it is, for the need to evacuate the bowels, but it isn't quite that strong (I assume Warrior will kick my butt). There is definitely a bit of a nic content to it and I will see just how big a hit it is when I try to stand up after this bowl.
Anyone who would put this into a shredder definitely has more cojones than I do, It is very nice as a plug cut up but shredded down I think it would definitely kick my butt. It is definitely mandatory to sip this one because with just a little extra puffing it gets darn hot real quick, but your experience may vary of course. I just scooped out some of the ash on top and gave it a quick bump with the lighter to keep it going strong because it had started to peeter on me some and the relight was actually rather mellow. The bowl has definitely mellowed as I have smoked it. Hahaha KV just informed me that this blend is causing him to need to evacuate...as I mentioned earlier, gotta love plugs. Ooh, now the strength is kicking in in about the last 1/4 of the bowl. KV has also informed that he is a little scared to..uh....release methane down south because he isn't sure what will come with...I am dying on the inside right now laughing and just writing down the accounts as they transpire (he doesn't know he is part of this review :twisted: ). KV is relighting now and his bowl is almost gone as well he says his relight is "not as harsh as triple play".
It smoked down to a fine white ash and after standing for a couple minutes I got the light headedness I was expecting. KV has made his run for the latrine, but it didn't have that effect on me. Definitely not as harsh on me as Triple Play and was a nice enjoyable smoke all the way through, KV agreed before he started off on his trek lol. Definitely not a smoke for right before bed because it will keep you up, but a very enjoyable smoke for early in the day. I will have to load this one up in a cob and give it a whirl first thing in the morning.
Thanks Jers.