RE: Pipes & Cigar smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

To any of you that smoke both cigars and pipes, do you have any problems/issues going back and forth. The last cigar I smoked (which was one I smoked often prior to returning to pipes) tasted horrible...think cigarette type taste horrible, and yes, it was purchased from the shop where I bought 80% of my cigars when I lived in Atlanta. Anyone had a similar issue? It was bad enough that I haven't smoked a cigar for well over 90 days.

Thanks,
Ed

I used to enjoy the occasional cigar til I started smoking a pipe. Now when I try to smoke a good cigar, they always seem to be disappointing. They just make me want my pipe.

I switch back and forth all the time. It just depends what mood I'm in. I seem to gravitate toward pipes more these days.

I agree with Ocelot,

I switch back and forth depending on my mood. I have noticed that the flavors I look for in a cigar I do not want in a pipe.

I initially smoked heavy latakia blends to try and get close to that cigar satisfaction. However, lately now that I have taken up the pipe again I find myself enjoying lighter English and Va/per blends.

While I do enjoy a few cigars each week, I usually only smoke them at the local cigar shop, since conservation is a little easier smoking a cigar.

I too get much more satisfaction from my pipe tobacco, since the flavors are much more pronounced than cigars. Cigars just seem so much milder, than a good robust pipe tobacco.

Ocelot55":i4nsuv0u said:
I switch back and forth all the time. It just depends what mood I'm in. I seem to gravitate toward pipes more these days.
Never thought I'd say it - but I find it true! :shock:

A friend sent me some CAO La Traviatas. Smoked one and had Cigar Mouth for days to the point where I couldn't taste pipe tobacco.

Maduro Dominicans aren't nearly as rugged, but still require some recovery time after indulging.

Firing up a cigar is pretty much writing off a pipe for that day.

YMMV (and apparently does).

:face:

I, on the other hand, have no problem going from cigar to pipe a bit later. But I cannot go from a pipe to a cigar. Tastes like crap. (Or at least what I imagine crap to taste like.)

Cigars are for hot, humid weather anyhow, when a pipe feels...sticky.

I'm with Yak. I used to smoke only cigars until I found the pipe. I find cigars blanket my taste buds so much that I have a hard time tasting pipe tobacco for some time afterwards. Now I only smoke a few stogies a year.

As an aside: what type of pipe tobacco would you guys recommend for cigarsmokers that want to try a pipe? Something heavy on latakia? I've heard that cigarette smokers moving to a pipe normally tend to like a tobacco heavy in Burley, for example.

@Richard Burley -- I'm essentially with you...when the first crisp autumn day hits, I think about my pipes in storage...but don't smoke them just yet. But by Thanksgiving here in the mountains of Western North Carolina, I want a big bowl Ben Wade brimming with a VaPer or a VaBurlPer...and then, as it has this past week here, the daytime highs crest 70, a stout Nicaraguan vitola with a beer thank you very much.

In terms of "going back and forth"...I find that in the winter pipe smoking season that I don't enjoy a cigar as much...the nuances aren't as present. I don't ever have a problem going the other way...at least not after a 24 hr rest. I can certainly imagine smoking a bowl after a cigar would only be worth the nicotine. But the next morning, I'm good to go with a cup of joe and a fine tobak...this week's morning smoke has been GL Pease's Triple Play which is one enigmatic blend....polishing off my first tin and soooo don't have a complete handle on it.....bowl size, degree of rubbing out, packing method, moisture level, time of day, and probably the lunar phase all impact the flavor this spicy combo presents.

As far as what to recommend when going from being a cigar smoker (25 years failrly consistently) to a pipe smoker (7 years on and off), I have no clue. My sense is that it truly varies from person to person. My buddy who owns a B&M and I have almost the same preferences in cigars....medium to full bodied spice bombs but we both pride ourselves at being able to suss out and enjoy the flavor notes in the milder Dominicans. But he loves Latakia/Balkans and that stuff makes me puke so who knows.

I smoke cigars when I go out to bars, until they make it illegal to smoke tobacco state wide. Never have any problems other then $10 cigar doesn't last as long as $10 in pipe tobacco. I can make a pipe last all night, the biggest cigar I can find won't last me more then a couple beers!!!