Ready to put under glass and frame

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
A diorama commission ready for glass and a hickory frame. Finally just down to assembly!

Very clever that Ozzie, and I like the way that you've created the illusion that the fish are in suspension. Nice work!

Thanks! Salmon, trout and northern pike are the fish featured here. I used leftover yarn for the foliage, combed it out, sprayed it with polyurethane and made it flow as if in current. It stiffened up nicely so I could form it and it stays put.

Looks like you did some of your wizardry making those guppies float !! :twisted: :twisted: What's the wood you used?

Dang if that don't beat all! Really beautiful workmanship there Oz. Rather ingenious use of yarn too. Can't wait to see it in the frame.

Jim

monbla256":2mhir4bs said:
Looks like you did some of your wizardry making those guppies float !! :twisted: :twisted:  What's the wood you used?
The fish are cedar, the 'rocks' are persimmon bark, sticks from what fell from the trees in the wind, the frame is hickory. I washed sand from the creek on the lower property and kind of glued it to the bottom. Clear tempered Plexiglas on each side so you can turn the diorama around and have them 'swim back'. I have a smaller one in my kitchen window, two Chinook salmon, a male and a female. A kind of symbolic thing going on for the household. I'll try to remember to post a pic of it tomorrow.

puros_bran":d2fpa7xx said:
Can you make a detailed 1/160th bear?
Prolly............... How big is that? I do a lot of little critters, but no chainsaw art. I'm lucky if I don't cut off my leg with that thing!

Lol. It's a bear 1/160th the size of a real bear. N Scale, it's what I model. A 50ft long boxcar is about 3 inches long. I was mostly just messing with you. I have a trailer on the hilltop, I'd like to have a bear eating out of the garbage can outside of it. But I need to finish planting trees on the mountain side before I get down to the little stuff.

I guess I'm stunned because I hardly know what to say. You never cease to amaze me with your talents. Very well done my friend. :)

AJ

That is sooooooo cooooool, Oz. Well done!

Yours,
--DAL

puros_bran":1ltdw7l2 said:
Lol. It's a bear 1/160th the size of a real bear. N Scale, it's what I model.  A 50ft long boxcar is about 3 inches long.   I was mostly just messing with you. I have a trailer on the hilltop, I'd like to have a bear eating out of the  garbage can outside of it. But I need to finish planting trees on the mountain side before I get down to the little stuff.
Get me a piece of wood big enough and I'll scare anyone, or anything. I'll even pee on it, if you think it will help! Be cautious, I may end up showing up and carving out what you want. We don't always want what we 'want'! Muah!!!!!:lol!:

Here is the set for the kitchen window, and a Scottish tool for cooking. Anyone know what it's called? I was surprised by the name!

Great looking work Wiz. You really have an eye for capturing fish.

As for the Scottish cooking tool; not a clue. But if I was to name it myself it would be a thwacker.

Its a Spurtle. A porridge stirrer. The world porridge making champion wins the "Golden Spurtle".
One of my shipmates used to take one on every ship he served on and volunteered to make porridge 'cause us Sassenachs didn't know how to do it! They eat it with salt for goodness sake :affraid: