Real Lambfoot Vanadium Stainless pocket knife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I have an old pocket knife in very good condition and would like to keep it that way. The handle is made of rose wood. What kind of polish or oil should I use to preserve the wood. I use the knife almost daily and it often becomes wet.

I thank you for your advise, brothers!! :D

Tung oil all the way. Penetrates deep shines to a luster & protects from moisture. Use it on all the wood handled knives i make. Great stuff. Use multiple coats and let sit with it saturated to penetrate before hand or buff polishing.

PS. If the wood is bistered don't be afraid to resand the handle finishing up with 600 grit paper. I once had a friend who's wife put a 7" drop point hunter with a Bacote handle thru the dishwasher cycle and blistered the wood. He thought it had ruined it and would have to be replaced. I'm sure it was the Tung oil that penetrates so deeply i used that saved it. I just had to sand & refinish it. Here's a pic after i repolished the whole knife.

A drop of boiled linseed oil or alcohol watered down shellac rubbed on by your finger tip will keep the pores sealed. My concern would be the back which probably is raw wood and not accessible. I'd make it a point to get as much as I could at the joint and keep an eye on that area for any change.