Reasonable price for Stonehaven?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
I was looking on fleabay for baccy, as sometimes I can find good deals. I found one seller who is offering an 8oz sealed bag of stonehaven for $150! What is a reasonable price for this? I know it is unobtanium, but goodness! almost $20 an oz! That is way too much, imho. What is the most you would pay for it? Also, how do you go about getting some of this for a reasonable cost?

In the past when I have found it, 30-35 bucks a bag. A local shop gets some every so often, splits it up and charges 6.95 an ounce for it. Not exactly inexpensive, but still reasonable considering what one could pay for it. I like Stonehaven, but there are more pretty girls than one.

d4klutz":ggpqg407 said:
I was looking on fleabay for baccy, as sometimes I can find good deals.  I found one seller who is offering an 8oz sealed bag of stonehaven for $150!  What is a reasonable price for this?  I know it is unobtanium, but goodness!  almost $20 an oz!  That is way too much, imho.  What is the most you would pay for it?  Also, how do you go about getting some of this for a reasonable cost?
Whose "treasonable" are you wanting to use for the definition? The SELLER of an item which is a rarity? Or yours of the person wanting to buy? In a situation such as this there are TWO definitions as well as you now understand why the sites REAL name is "e-PREY" :twisted: :twisted:

Kind of similar to seeing that Pipesandcigars.com got Balkan Sobranie back in stock tonight. Hop over to the page and see their asking $34.95 a tin... :evil: it sucks, but they can ask what they want, and I'm sure it will sell. I'm sure that Smokingpipes will sell out faster even with a 2 tin limit when they're asking the regular price of $9.16/tin.

Last order I got from P&C was horribly, and I mean HORRIBLY packed. I've got a pic of how it was packed next to a package from SP I received the same day. Ill have to see if I can dig em up. It's never a good sign when you pick up a package and hear tins rattling around inside...can't say I've been impressed with much of anything lately from P&C

nismo270r":qalcmiha said:
Kind of similar to seeing that Pipesandcigars.com got Balkan Sobranie back in stock tonight. Hop over to the page and see their asking $34.95 a tin... Evil or Very Mad it sucks, but they can ask what they want, and I'm sure it will sell. I'm sure that Smokingpipes will sell out faster even with a 2 tin limit when they're asking the regular price of $9.16/tin.

Yep. Smokingpipes.com is already out of stock. I am a sucker who just purchased 1 tin of the Sobranie from pipesandcigars.com.

It costs $25.00 to be the slowest man in the pipe community. It is time to start a training program for my PAD clicking finger.

Is $150 reasonable for 8oz of Stonehaven? Depends how you look at it. If you live in the USA, I would say no. A little patience and some persistence, you will find it at the regular price. Just keep hunting.
Now, if you live anywhere else in the world, $150 is pretty reasonable assuming it does not get tagged with customs fees. With the tobacco taxes most countries charge, an individual will be paying that same price for Capitan Black. I know that is the unfortunate case in Canada.

This is why I'm staying out of the Stonehaven game. If I see it on a shelf I might get it but otherwise I push it out of my mind.

DrumsAndBeer":b2cxj545 said:
In the past when I have found it, 30-35 bucks a bag. A local shop gets some every so often, splits it up and charges 6.95 an ounce for it. Not exactly inexpensive, but still reasonable considering what one could pay for it. I like Stonehaven, but there are more pretty girls than one.
exactly!  as long as folks can get $150 (almost $19 an oz) I can't blame the folks listing it.  Same reason you have to be damn lucky to get any online. first guys in buy the whole load and flips it to eBay.  I have a doz bags that I have not bought online or ebay every time I walk into two of the local B&M's I check and about 1/3 of the time I get lucky. Same with Penzance I have a doz bags and that's all I need.  I haven't bought either in a couple of years.

Bullwinkle":0arr88jj said:
DrumsAndBeer":0arr88jj said:
exactly!  as long as folks can get $150 (almost $19 an oz) I can't blame the folks listing it.  Same reason you have to be damn lucky to get any online. first guys in buy the whole load and flips it to eBay.  I have a doz bags that I have not bought online or ebay every time I walk into two of the local B&M's I check and about 1/3 of the time I get lucky. Same with Penzance I have a doz bags and that's all I need.  I haven't bought either in a couple of years.
Bullwinkle, you're likely the envy of many a pipe-man!

I say keep looking, and waiting. Good things do come to those who wait, and you'll probably appreciate it that much more if/when you're able to get your hands on it. I've yet to try any Esoterica blends, but I'll patiently wait... although, my B & M has Margate... I'll probably hold out for Penzance or Stonehaven.

I guess I will need to talk to my B&M to see if they can order any in. Finding anything in Houston is a challenge as cigars are more popular by a long shot.

if you want to score you have to work the phone and call all the smaller B&M's within whatever you feel is a reasonable drive.  be nice and friendly.. if they don't have it give them your name and number (this makes them think you are serious) and ask for them to call you.    

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle"

Bullwinkle":zbwnith7 said:
if you want to score you have to work the phone and call all the smaller B&M's within whatever you feel is a reasonable drive.  be nice and friendly.. if they don't have it give them your name and number (this makes them think you are serious) and ask for them to call you.    

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle"
Very true. I have scored Stonerhead and Penzance in the most unlikely of places, & a good deal of it over the phone. But then again it was at least 2-1/2 to 3 years ago when I was running across it with more frequency.. Lately I just haven't been looking.

DrumsAndBeer":j2bd8rtm said:
... I like Stonehaven, but there are more pretty girls than one.
This

While I like Stonehaven and was able to put 8oz into my cellar, I can and certainly do manage with other blends just fine and some at or better than par to Stonehaven!