Recommend a small bowled pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Howard

Reaction score
I love Dan's Blue Note, but I've found that around half-way through the bowl it loses something. I figure if I smoke it in a small bowl it will be done by the time it starts losing it's flavour. I'm just not sure what's out there for small bowls. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Jack

I have not smoked his pipes yet, but soon will and have been thinking about the same thing (having one small good pipe). If I were you I believe I would ask Sas to make one just like I wanted. I have spoke with him about this and he's plenty open to do that.

How could you beat that? I great small bowl pipe that is just the look you want and bowl size what you want? I know I have not finished with Sas and his pipe making.

Here is the Sas pipe I am waiting on now and I have been thinking of getting him to make the same exact pipe, but with a smaller bowl just for things like your talking about.

brandy3.jpg

brandy3.jpg

Skip

Paolo Becker kind of specializes in smaller pipes, sort of expensive though...

Ditto Stanwell Featherweights, and some of the HCA's are small too and are fantastic smokers.

+1 on the Stanwell Featherweights (I have shape 243) and the Peterson 303 (I have 3 of them.) They are great for 45 min. to an hour smokes. Peterson's 80s shape is also a smaller bowl and smokes about the same length.

Harlock999":z4fgato1 said:
Paolo Becker kind of specializes in smaller pipes, sort of expensive though...
Yea he also specializes in personal bankruptcy!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a tiny French made GBD billiard that smokes real well.
Ditto the Stan Feathers!

Thanks for the feedback, all. I checked out the Stanwell featherweights and like the look of them. I'm also impressed with the quality of my Stanwell. I'll see about adding one to my next order.

Another shout out for a Peterson 303. Some time ago I built up a group of old GBD's with small bowls - they work perfectly. Got them all off Ebay for a song.

Muddler":rshpc7bv said:
Another shout out for a Peterson 303. Some time ago I built up a group of old GBD's with small bowls - they work perfectly. Got them all off Ebay for a song.
Hey, Mudd, you never seem to amaze me bro!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Muddler":yssy3psc said:
Apparently those days are over. I've been watching ebay auctions for GBDs and none of them go for a song anymore.

pistolero":eyfiyccd said:
Muddler":eyfiyccd said:
Apparently those days are over. I've been watching ebay auctions for GBDs and none of them go for a song anymore.
Good to know!

Flea Bay, I'd say. Yep -- the days of picking up pre-republic Petes for $2.95 to maybe $15 are gone (they've all but disappeared except for the opportunists asking far more for them than they're fairly worth. They became a fad) (due, in part, to idiot here hyping them). Same with the better English marques.

But if you're going back to the era that what people nowdays consider "small" pipes were produced in large numbers (they used to be just normal pipes), it often turns out that the obscure named and chain-stamped ones were over-runs by Comoy, GBD and so on. Same pipes, different names, no commercial appeal to collectors of Names -- especially when the factory linkage is unknown. And more than old enough by now to be well seasoned indeed. When you're lucky enough to get one that hasn't had yucky stuff smoked in it, you're in business. And if not, there's a fix.

Case in point : a favourite little apple -- beautiful grain but some little fills -- stamped Drury Lane (the road that ran past the Comoy workshop). Postage cost as much as the pipe did. Smokes Embarcadero better than any of its "name" peers do, good as they are.

My dos centavos.

:face:

Yak":8cmhs16u said:
Flea Bay, I'd say. Yep -- the days of picking up pre-republic Petes for $2.95 to maybe $15 are gone (they've all but disappeared except for the opportunists asking far more for them than they're fairly worth. They became a fad) (due, in part, to idiot here hyping them). Same with the better English marques.

But if you're going back to the era that what people nowdays consider "small" pipes were produced in large numbers (they used to be just normal pipes), it often turns out that the obscure named and chain-stamped ones were over-runs by Comoy, GBD and so on. Same pipes, different names, no commercial appeal to collectors of Names -- especially when the factory linkage is unknown. And more than old enough by now to be well seasoned indeed. When you're lucky enough to get one that hasn't had yucky stuff smoked in it, you're in business. And if not, there's a fix.

Case in point : a favourite little apple -- beautiful grain but some little fills -- stamped Drury Lane (the road that ran past the Comoy workshop). Postage cost as much as the pipe did. Smokes Embarcadero better than any of its "name" peers do, good as they are.

My dos centavos.

:face:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 3 cheers YAkster!!!

I won a lovat from Invicta Briars...The bowl is small. Here's the link.

lovat

It smokes really well.

Older Gregor Lobniks tend to have tiny bowls and are very fine lookers and smokers. Not cheap, though.

Stanwell #191

Small bowl, but holds a mighty charge of tobacco - I love mine.

Matt