Recommend me a good, relatively affordable aromatic?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubbya

Reaction score
I think it's time to branch out from cavendish and try an aromatic. The only problem is that I have no idea where to begin. So I'll put the question to you gentlemen. What is a good aromatic that won't break the bank?

Also, I'm allergic to clove so keep that in mind when making recommendations. It's hard to relax after a hard day at work while going into anaphylactic shock.

Thanks guys

I've lately gotten into Devil's Holiday from Dan Tobacco, runs $6.74 for 50g tin from smokingpipes.com. Of all the Aros I've tried I like it the most.

My two favorites are "Trout Stream" under Bulk Tobaccos>HPCS Adirondack Series at pipesandcigars.com and Wilke No. 191 at Pipeworks & Wilke - http://www.vtpipes.com/

I love 'em.

You might want to try Boswell's Bulk aero blends. I enjoy them quite often. Christmas Cookie and Majestic 586 are the two I like from there.

www.boswellpipes.com

J_Rock":n7ogwzni said:
You might want to try Boswell's Bulk aero blends. I enjoy them quite often. Christmas Cookie and Majestic 586 are the two I like from there.

www.boswellpipes.com
+1 on Boswell's. Christmas Cookie and Sweet Tea are good aromatics for not too much money.

As far as tinned stuff, Dan's Blue Note and C&D Autumn Evening are my recommendations.

Take this with a grain of salt, however, as I am not too big into aromatics in general.

-Andrew

After some poking around, the Boswell Sweet Tea and the C&D Nutty Irishman look promising. I especially like the bit about Frangellico and Irish Mist colliding. That sounds like an enjoyable smoke.

There is such a wide range when talking aromatics. Some are scented. Others sauced. I am smoking a new C&D blend called Gentleman Caller that has Deer Tongue added to it. Some might consider it an aromatic. Have a look at the Cornell & Diehl website.

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/

I've a few and all are 4noggin's blends - I'll list the light aero's

Otter Creek - light butterscotch/vanilla but not overpowering. This is a great baccy with a very light casing. Very good in mixed company and a terrific room note.

Weybridge - Virginia and Burley - good tobacco taste and a little sweet on the tongue.

Three Blind Moose - a step up in fragrance from Otter Creek.

Essence of Vermount - rated highly - dark burley - light maple and a terrific taste.

Bald Headed Teacher - rated highly - slightly sweet and a touch of latakia

Lord Methley's - medium aero - very close to Edgeworthready rubbed. Think they're trying for a substitute of Edgeworth.

Killington - this is very nice stuff. Vanilla flavor with some raison taste.

As with all of these blends I would recomend some drying time on a sheet of paper for about an hour. Really improves things and all will smoke cool.

I got one for you that is both very good and right now very affordable. Go to PipesandCigars.com and go to Dan tobacco. They have 1 pound bags of Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew on sales right now for $19.95, a great price and it's really good. Another is Black Velvet which is a black cavendish/Latakia mix that is spicy sweet and smooth. One pound bag is a terrific $14.95. I just bought poundage of these to put up.
Good luck!

I don't smoke aromatics but have always heard that Reiner Professional and Dan Tobacco Blue Note are very good.

I think Perfection is pretty good.

Also, I'm a big fan of "Shortcut to Mushrooms". Very smooth and creamy, like the taste of mushrooms. Recommended!

I've tried Boswell Berry Cobbler and Boswell Christmas Cookie. Both are good, but I strongly recommend Berry Cobbler.

I have been smoking MacBaren's Vanilla Creme this week and it is a wonderful blend. Not overwhelming in the Vanilla, just a back note of it and then the sweetness of VA tobacco. I highly recommend it!