Recommendation for a cigar smoker

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I’ve been away for a long time, but now I’m back. It seems that I am a die-hard cigar guy, which is why I disappear, but I do occasionally get a strong urge to pick up the pipe again. I was initially drawn to the likes of Dunhill MYM965, and Frog Morton, along with Esoterica Margate and Penzance. All of which I think would fall into a heavier Latakia (English \ Oriental) category. However, I’m finding that I am now losing interest in those blends and have really grown to dislike the aftertaste in my mouth. I’m thinking it is the Latakia.
I have tried Escudo and did enjoy it, but used to feel that it was more of a morning blend and not quite as fulfilling or satisfying as the others. But I’m now developing a craving for it and find that I’m more drawn to this type of tobacco as of late. So I guess that is the VAPER blend.
I’m looking for any recommendations of a tobacco that you would think a cigar smoker would enjoy. While I like cigars I do not lean toward maduros. I prefer natural wrappers like Sumatra, or Corojo. I would prefer to avoid the following:
C&D – I have had a ton of them and feel like I am missing out on other stuff as this is all I seem to smoke. Really I’ve gone through 12 or 13 different blends. So I’m looking elsewhere just because these guys get all my money LOL
GL Pease – there is something in these blends that always seem to irritate my mouth
McClelland – any of the ketchup smelling blends. That aroma totally turns me off
I do have a tin of Exhausted Rooster that I’m debating on opening to get back into the swing of things. I also still have about 5 open tins of stuff now. I guess the ER falls into a burley blend? But doesn’t it lie closer to the VAPER than say an English?
For some reason (most likely my smoking technique) I do get tongue bite quite easily. For example no matter how slow I smoke Butera Pelican, my mouth feels totally beat up after a bowl. OTOH, I’ve been known to smoke 4-5 cigars consecutively without a problem.
Looking forward to your advice and recommendations.
Thanks

When I started smoking the pipe, I was also primarily a cigar smoker, I tried too hard to reproduce the cigar experience, so like you, I smoked mostly Latakia blends and/or blends with some cigar leaf. Now, when I want cigar taste, I smoke a cigar. When I smoke my pipes, I still dabble with Latakia once in a while, but mostly I like VaPers (Fillmore, Escudo, Haddo's Delight) or fuller Virginias (Astleys 44, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake). Anyway, the tobacco that kicked off the change in my pipe smoking preferences was McConnells Scottish Cake/Scottish Flake.

Samuel Gawith's 1792. After I tried that, I pretty much abandoned cigars (largely) and started buying pipes. 1792 is the tobacco I go back to when I want a "chase the dragon" experience. Make sure you're sitting down.

Pipeman, I think i'm following in your footsteps exactly...lol

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I will definitely search out some Scottish flake and the C&D Gray Ghost (that is one that I haven't tried).

Derlict,

Is Gawith 1792 a bulk blend? I'm having trouble finding it. I prefer tins as I don't have any jars and don't smoke anywhere near as much as you guys.

Thanks

Dutch":pnhsakw5 said:
Stogiegila":pnhsakw5 said:
Derlict,

Is Gawith 1792 a bulk blend? I'm having trouble finding it. I prefer tins as I don't have any jars and don't smoke anywhere near as much as you guys.

Thanks
Pipes and Cigars has it in stock right now.....

http://pipesandcigars.com/cobflake.html
What he said. You can also try smoking pipes.com and 4 noggins, if you want to compare prices. It's a nice, strong, manly blend. I hope you like it.

Bayou Morning. Don't let the name fool you, its a full flavored blend and will satisfy the cigar smoker with the richness it was in the bowl.

You may have already tried this in your C&D excursions, but pressed C&D Billy Budd is as close to a cigar smoking experience I have found in apipe. Some of the dark fermented flakes come close as well.

Thanks guys,

Definitely seems like a sampler pack is in order once I smoked down some of my open tins. :D