Recommendation request

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Lowry

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of McClelland's Scottish Woods, and am searching for something similar that would be available in bulk. I've already ordered some McC #2045 to try; is there anything else I should be investigating? Thanks!

Andy, I don't smoke SW (no particular reason, just don't!!); however, two buds of mine do. They suggested McC's Dark Eng. Full/5110 and/or Coyote Classic/5125, presuming you want to stick with McC's bulks. FWIW, FTRPLT

ftrplt":vii6w6ii said:
Andy, I don't smoke SW (no particular reason, just don't!!); however, two buds of mine do. They suggested McC's Dark Eng. Full/5110 and/or Coyote Classic/5125, presuming you want to stick with McC's bulks. FWIW, FTRPLT
Thank you! Those are both good, but aren't the "Scottish" sort of thing I'm hunting-- Virginia, up-front spicy Orientals, and a light sprinkle of latakia. If you've had Red Rapparee, it's in the same ballpark.

If you are looking for a Scottish, experiment with more of the Rattrays. It is what most of them are, ie, they have a significant amount of cavendish, making them a Scottish. For a true Va,Oriental, Lat, I would check the Dunhills. Lat is also an Oriental, but custom has it, it is listed separately. EMP and Standard Mixture are pretty much Orientals.

Andy Lowry":b8g38zgj said:
I'm hunting-- Virginia, up-front spicy Orientals, and a light sprinkle of latakia.
EMP, & perhaps SG Skiff Mixture? Skiff has a tad more Lat than "a light sprinkle," but the synergy between the its three components is quite nice.

DrumsAndBeer":wqvmbzi4 said:
Andy Lowry":wqvmbzi4 said:
I'm hunting-- Virginia, up-front spicy Orientals, and a light sprinkle of latakia.
EMP, & perhaps SG Skiff Mixture? Skiff has a tad more Lat than "a light sprinkle," but the synergy between the its three components is quite nice.
That's what I would have suggested. MacB's Plumcake is great if you're the rare person that can smoke it--no Oriental, though. GLP's Meridian or Maltese Falcon come to mind, too.

8)

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how I overlooked Skiff, considering how many times I've combed through Gawith's offerings. I've ordered a pound of that (well, 500g) and a pound of EMP, so we'll see how they work out!

Andy Lowry":mtn4nesx said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how I overlooked Skiff, considering how many times I've combed through Gawith's offerings. I've ordered a pound of that (well, 500g) and a pound of EMP, so we'll see how they work out!
Great choices. I think you'll be quite pleased with Skiff Mixture. Kyle mentioned Meridian and Maltese Falcon by GLP, both are nice are choices as well, although not bulk buy tobaccos unless you count 8 ounce tins.

To my taste Meridian comparatively smokes a lot more Oriental forward and Maltese more Lat forward with a pine pitch flavor that has a drying affect on my palate. Of the two I find Meridian more complex and worth stocking up on. One from the same series that you may want to try is Chelsea Morning. Also check out GLP's Piccadilly.

Be wary of the Perique included in Chelsea Morning and even more so in Piccadilly...if you're sensitive to it. If you're after Oriental, I find Perique kind of takes center stage in Pease mixtures.

Skiff and EMP are fine choices. The bulks are a little less "mellow" than the tinned variants, but I think that could go for just about any mix/blend that is available in both bulk and tinned.

8)

I always felt Skiff was more latakia forward and Squadron Leader was more oriental forward. Neither has the cavendish element a Scottish blend would have though. I found McCranies Murdock's Pipe to be just like Scottish Woods, only better. Not a bulk blend though.

McClelland's Oriental #14 is advertised as a full Scottish blend, but I don't detect any cavendish in that either. It is awfully good though.

BTW, do pass along your impressions of 2045, I'll be curious to hear what you thought of it.

What is this blasphemous notion that a Scottish has to have Cavendish? :mrgreen: I think of it as optional, and prefer to do without. McClelland says that their Oriental #14 is a Scottish, and it is Cavendish-free. So there. :lol: 

Yeah, I know. It's like trying to define a Balkan. Depends on who you ask.

I really like MC's 2030. It moves through a variety of my favorite flavor s. It will be sour/sweet, with a strong spice as well. I keeps trying to tell myself I have enough put back.