Recommendations like Dark Star and Blackwoods Flake please.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I have been smoking since 98 but from 2005 to now I have been primarily an English smoker. Last year I discovered Va/per blends and this yeah nicer aged pressed Va flakes. I have smoked va's off an on over the years but had problems with a chemical reaction so didn't smoke them often. Lately I have been enjoying Blackwoods flake and Dark Star. As long as I have an acidic drink with sugar and a side of water the reaction has been minimal.

I am now looking for blends along the lines of these two. I loved the aged dark flakes. They are naturally sweet and tasty without the sickly sweet addition of flavoring found in most aros. So lets talk about this and please suggest away.

I'm with you. Lat forward blends are my main stay. When i stray i like Mac Baren HH Mature Virginia and GLP Cumberland though if nicotine is the chemical reaction you speak of I'd avoid Cumberland, it'll smack you around. Obviously everyone's favorite SG FVF, it needs at least a year in the tin, it's too harsh fresh. My "I don't know what I want but i want to smoke something and not care" i like John Patton's Quadruple Virginia.

No big is not the chemical reaction I speak of. It is basically tongue bite and ph problems.

Richard Burley":hw5jtrai said:
McC's Red and Black is my suggestion.
A friend just gave me a partial tin of it from 99 and have not tried it yet.

tarheel7734":5o0lmspm said:
Richard Burley":5o0lmspm said:
McC's Red and Black is my suggestion.
A friend just gave me a partial tin of it from 99 and have not tried it yet.
Don't know how the R&B can be from '99 as it just came out this year !! :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe it was another mcc blend he gave me also. Will look when I get a chance

McClelland's Red & Black is a great suggestion.

For (Dark Star style) dark VA flakes, I think Wessex Brigade Campaign warrants a look. Rattray Black Virginia shares some similarities too, as does Peretti's Scottish Flake.

Blackwoods is a bit tougher though. They're a half a mile apart, but I like Union Square a lot. It's more earthy than Blackwoods but it has big flavor and plenty of depth for a straight VA, and it's somewhat rugged in character. Try to find a tin with some age on it though, 3 years should be good and let it decant some prior to smoking.

OK..........

Sounds like you are diving into very dark pressed VAs. A nice economical sample is an ounce of McC's 2035 and rub it out into a quarter ounce of their 5105. yummy stuff......

The Red and Black is pretty good, but my pallet keeps telling me it's a couple of their blends pushed together into one tin.

I could be, and am often, wrong.

Ozark Wizard":b7en77dn said:
OK..........

Sounds like you are diving into very dark pressed VAs. A nice economical sample is an ounce of McC's 2035 and rub it out into a quarter ounce of their 5105. yummy stuff......

The Red and Black is pretty good, but my pallet keeps telling me it's a couple of their blends pushed together into one tin.

I could be, and am often, wrong.
I think I agree with this about the Red and Black. While I initially was impressed, lately I've been disappointed. Smoked dry, semi-dry, moist out of the tin, no matter what I'm missing with this tobacco, which is exasperating because the first half of the tin was quite good. Now, very "meh."

I'm a huge fan of Rattray's Marlin Flake, which does have some Perique but I think it falls in line with Dark Star. And also Rattray's Dark Fragrant, I really think this one zings!

If you're already in McClelland Land with Dark Star and Blackwoods Flake you HAVE to treat yourself to their St James Woods. Luscious stuff and smooth. If you want to tread into Navy flakes try their Navy Cavendish Flake. Another great flake that will be smooth on your tongue.

Two very nice all red va blend/mixtures McC makes are FM 2000 a nice straight Red Va in a broken flake and 5100 Red Cake a nice all Red Va in a ribbon cut form. I smoke around a pound ea month along with R & B now and NOBODY does Va's as do the boys up in KC, NOBODY !! :twisted: :twisted: