Recommendations on VA flakes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon

Reaction score
Lately I've gotten heavily into gold VA flakes. I really like something with a rich, sweet, grassy flavor, like Hamborger Veermaster or Orlik GS. While there are plenty of good dark VAs and vapers out there, I'm interested mostly in blends similar to the two aforementioned. What do you think is a great gold VA? Doesn't necessarily have to be a flake, but I think that'll be most of it.

I recently tried S. Gawith's Golden Glow which is a broken flake, also available in bulk as Medium Virginia Flake, and enjoyed it very much. Very smooth, sweet smoke. I find S. Gawith very enjoyable as they somehow manage to eliminate the harshness I experience in many pipe tobaccos.

Also very good is Astleys Elizabethan mixture. Primarily a broken Va.

If you're interested in Vintage tobaccos try some Elephant & Castle Roanoake. Grassy, sweet and wonderful ribbon cut VA.
As for currently manufactured flakes, not as grassy and sweet but MacBaren's Navy Flake is hard to beat IMHO.
good luck in your search.
Doc

Reiner Long Golden Flake is wonderful, though it isn't a pure VA (some condimental Burley & Perique) and is probably too pricey for what it is.

docwatson":ps7fxvyf said:
If you're interested in Vintage tobaccos try some Elephant & Castle Roanoake. Grassy, sweet and wonderful ribbon cut VA.
As for currently manufactured flakes, not as grassy and sweet but MacBaren's Navy Flake is hard to beat IMHO.
good luck in your search.
Doc
MacBaren's Navy was the first real VA flake I ever had. I think. Either that or HV, both of which set the bar pretty high for me. Does the MacB taste like it has a tinge of vanilla to you?

Freyborg & Treyer Cut Virginia plug is a very clean, grassy and slighly sweet flake.