Recommended ribbon cut VA?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojtekpastuch

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Having been mainly an english mixtures smoker for a couple of years, lately I began exploring virginia tobaccos. I find them really good and a fine change from my usual latakia diet :lol: The thing is I really don't like flake tobaccos. I sure like the taste but I don't like rubbing them out and waiting until they dry, it's just not as comfortable for an everyday smoke when I don't have the time to properly prepare my baccy.
So my question is can you recommend a good, straight VA ribbon cut? :pipe:

Very nice!

My hands down all time favorite Ribbon cut VA would be Rattrays Hal O tha Wynd! a bit expensive and to my knowledge not available in bulk.

Others in no particular order:

McClelland:
Virginia Woods
Virginia #25

Esoterica: Tilbury

Cornell & Diehl: Three Friars Virginia ribbon, Brown Virginia Burley and Perique.

That's a very short list as I have a very strong preference for Flakes

Good luck :pipe:

Thanks kilted1! :D
Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd is readily available here in Poland so I guess I'll give it a try :pipe:

Try Fribourg and Treyer Blackjack (I think it's ribbon, but I'm not completely sure) and McConnell Special London Mild (it's more of a shag cut).

McCranie's Red Ribbon has long been a favorite of many. The new iteration, Red Ribbon 2000, is slowly racking up the 4-star reviews. Might be worth a try. Also, 5100 by McClelland is worth trying based on quality and value. It is not a ribbon but a ready-rubbed. It's price point is almost untouchable ...

Hal'O'The Wind is available from Mars Cigars in bulk,sort of pricey now at
$60+ a pound.I got a lb. 2 years ago and about half is still left. :)

Winslow :sunny:

GLP Laurel Heights - absolute Va divination in a tin.

I like Stokkebye's Virginia Long Cut.

Very easy to pack, stays lit well, and a nice aftertaste.