Red Rapparee question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowroll

Reaction score
Question for all you English/ /Balkan lovers. How do you like Rattray's red Rapparee. I like both heavy and light Balkans, favs are 10 Russians, Byzantium, Squadron leader, Odyssey, HH vintage syrian, Skiff mixture, Gawith balkan blend . Thought I'd try RR, but I only find it in 100 gm tins, so I thought I'd ask opinions before springing for it. Wondered if it had good overtones of the orientals.

I'm a BIG fan of Rattray's blends and red Rapparee use to be one of them. In the past 5 years or so I've noticed a change to this blend. Both in the Oriental & Latakia that was used in the making of the more recent blend. Also extremely moist when fresh, may bite if not an experienced pipe smoker, and needs a number of re-lights. I have some older dates aging but I would NOT spend my money on the newer releases. Just my honest opinion from my personal experience. Must also mention it's not as sweet & spicy as the Latakia in the recent releases is in the far background.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I first smoked it back in the early '70s when it was still made by Rattray's in Scotland. When Rattray's was sold in the '80s it began to change drastically . I stopped smoking it then and only recently tried it again. It is NOWHERE near what was produced in Scotland back in the '70s and I'll not try it again. JMHO :twisted:

YUP ^^^^^^^
When it was blended in Scotland it was an outstanding smoke!! The tin/can was 4 oz. and the smell & the taste was sublime, a thing of beauty. The finest Latakia that was available. After 2004 I never purchased another tin/can. Before I moved down South a few years ago a pipe buddy opened a tin/can from 2012 and I remember saying to him " WTF, this will hopefully get better with age "!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Used to enjoy RR regularly back around '01. But I also was into lat blends back then too.

After my pipe hiatus I tried a tin purchased around '10 or so. Remember the red ginny's present with their sweetness, and not an overwhelming amount of lat-weed. Pleasant enough. Haven't gone back and opened another tin, but think I may have a second one from that same purchase lurking somewhere.

Cheers,

RR

Well Montbla and lone coyote, I appreciate your input, since you have experience with the former. Sounds like what happened to zbalkan Sobranie. I'll give it a miss.

Slowroll":gw6bkvzk said:
Question for all you English/ /Balkan lovers. How do you like Rattray's red Rapparee. I like both heavy  and  light Balkans, favs are 10 Russians, Byzantium, Squadron leader, Odyssey,  HH vintage syrian, Skiff mixture, Gawith  balkan blend .  Thought I'd  try RR, but I only find it in 100 gm  tins, so I thought I'd  ask opinions before springing for it. Wondered if it had good overtones of the orientals.
I'm a bit late to the party but I just caught this. You might want to read DrumsandBeer's review on TR. Click Here and scroll down. His taste is very similar to mine and he writes an excellent review. I like the latest formula. :)

AJ

Everyone's taste is generally different due to the Ph levels in your mouth and saliva. I'm so use to the much older version of RR I could not adjust to the change of this once OUTSTANDING blend. Purchase a single tin of the latest release, hey you might like it and the cost won't break the bank.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

AJ, thanks for the link and opinion. I'll give it some thought for next TAD attack