Red Rapparee versus Black Mallory

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
I have smoked Rattray's Red Rapparee but not Black Mallory. The description of Black Mallory is as follows...

The basic tobaccos are broadly akin to those of Red Rapparee. Carefully apportioning of the quantities of seasoning leaf brings...
From this description I am guessing that the two blends are the same in regards to the tobaccos, but differ in their proportions. Can anyone provide a comparison between the two?

Red Rap is high in spicy orientals and not so high in latakia. Black Mallory is high in latakia. I love the taste of Red Rap but sadly it bites me too badly.

If you like latakia like I do Black Mallory is a good smoke. I've been there and recommend it. I have not purchased any in a while though, as I prefer Engine 99. I guess the Pirate Kake in the Engine makes it tastier at least to my buds.

I smoked both for awhile years ago and found I enjoyed the Red Rapparee more. The predominence of the Orientals and level of Red Virginia's suited me more than the Lat forward emphisis of Black Mallory. I'm going to add some RR to my next 'bac order as I remember how REALLY NICE and smooth and spicy/sweet it was. I hope the newly blended stuff is as the older Scottish blended I used to smoke.

Black Mallory, Red Rapparee, and 7 Reserve all have the same constituent tobaccos, just in different proportions. I prefer the RR as it seems to have a bit more "zing" to it. Probably because of the increased orientals.