Red Wine Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blr1911

Reaction score
When I started pipes in 2002ish, the local 'bac shop had a bulk red wine aro. Inquiring recently revealed that the maker has since gone out of business.

Anyone familiar with a cool smoking, red wine aro? Or failing that, how one could make it?

I would check the C&D web site carefully. They are bound to have something I haven't tried. LJ Perrtti may also have one.

I do have some. No longer available of course. What I have is called Don Natan by Nat Sherman. It's a rather bland blend except for the red wine taste. It adds a thick texture to the smoke. So you can feel it with your tongue.

Dans/Cao had a blend called Da Vincci that uses wine as it's topping.Wasn't bad but I didn't hold onto it for long.
Also Esoterica Pembroke uses wine as an additive. It was an interesting take on an English with flavor.

I'd also try tobaccoreviews.com

Gl

Peretti's Scotch Flake is topped with red wine. I smoked though a sample of that a while back. While the tobacco was decent, whatever flavor the red wine added was minimal. Perhaps it added some depth?

Pembroke is Margate topped with cognac. I prefer Margate.

I've never found a decent tobacco with wine flavoring. I even tried my hand at it and could never find anything even remotely satisfactory. I think that tobacco and wine flavors just may not mix for the better.

I know I've tried several wine blends over the years, but none worth remembering. The suggestions in the posts above may be the best. Tried Sangria (Altadis) not too long ago. Fruity, did not taste anything like wine. Do not recommend.

Unlike Drums, I much prefer Pembroke to Margate. It is one of my very few stranded-in-an-island blends. But cognac is very different from wine.

Wet Dottle":ruanity0 said:
I've never found a decent tobacco with wine flavoring. I even tried my hand at it and could never find anything even remotely satisfactory. I think that tobacco and wine flavors just may not mix for the better.
I've come to the same conclusion from the other direction - That is, I've never really found wines that go well with pipe tobaccos. Beer, absolutely. Beer seems made to be paired with a pipe. But none of the wines I've tried have really worked well, IMO... The closest I've come is Port, which is robust enough to stand up against the sorts of tobaccos I prefer.

Wine-topped tobacco. Gross. :lol: Whatever does it for ya, I guess.

Peterson made some limited edition 2009 something-or-other that reeked and tasted of wine. Might be your thing. T'wastn't mine. If I find more info I'll post it.

Pembroke is one of the very few alcohol-topped blends that I like; but as I can't get myself to smoke latakia, I don't smoke it:).

Thanks guys.

Maybe this one is better left as a memory.

I will be trying that Cognac one though...

Just drink some wine with a gentle Burley for a smoke, that might work well enough. :D