Reed problems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Kaplan

Reaction score
My neighbor's 11-year-old son recently started "playing" the clarinet. How do I make him stop without offending my neighbor? Keep in mind, My neighbor is currently in possession of my weed whacker, my second-best shop vac, and my complete season 2 of Fringe. I only have his Mossberg 1100 without a barrel and his blu-ray copy of The Guns of Navarone.

images

Jeesh George, what happened to influencing the youth to be creative? Stifling the creativity of the youth, you should be ashamed of yourself. :lol:

Well, if the kid isn't very good, chances are he'll quit playing before too long. Just ride it out. Also be glad you're not my neighbor. I get about 3 hours in daily.

Teach him how to make a dart gun out of the clarinet.

I new "reed" was coming, I enjoy watching you literate people play this game. Down here in Alabama we can start to play when you hit the word "red". We have red necks, red heads, and we have "red" the funny papers.

I bet we could use that partial shotgun to quiet the neighbor kid.

taharris":1ck6by1y said:
Tried that, Todd. No use. Clarinet cuts through my skull like a bone saw. I think it has something to do with all the bad klezmer music at holidays growing up, which is weird because we were far more Irish Catholic than Jewish. :scratch:

kaiser83":xxvbm80o said:
Jeesh George, what happened to influencing the youth to be creative? Stifling the creativity of the youth, you should be ashamed of yourself. :lol:
I mentioned he's a boy, right? Playing the clarinet? He's already small for his age. He doesn't need any more ammo for the other kids to use against him. Can you name one cool male clarinet player? Let him get well into his 20s before celebrating his eccentricity. Hopefully by then he'll live somewhere else. :p

George Kaplan":w0lcasil said:
I mentioned he's a boy, right? Playing the clarinet? He's already small for his age. He doesn't need any more ammo for the other kids to use against him. Can you name one cool male clarinet player? Let him get well into his 20s before celebrating his eccentricity. Hopefully by then he'll live somewhere else. :p
Woody Herman. He was pretty damn cool, and a giant amongst the big band greats.

Gotta admit, I was trolling a bit with the clarinetist question. :p 9 out of 10 people would name Goodman as the only one they know, who's most memorable contribution was a watered-down cover of a Louie Prima tune.

I guess as a musician, anyone attempting to play actually makes me happy, even if it's irritating. I look at it this way: any musical instrument being played, no matter how bad, is almost always favorable over hearing other human beings talk.

Have you offered him a cob pipe at the business end of the speargun yet? "Hey kid, I heard you like music... wanna smoke?"

8)

Kyle Weiss":w6hhj9x4 said:
Have you offered him a cob pipe at the business end of the speargun yet? "Hey kid, I heard you like music... wanna smoke?"
:lol!: That could work. Once in a while I can get his dad to join me for pipe. Quality family time!

George Kaplan":gvlhti5d said:
Gotta admit, I was trolling a bit with the clarinetist question. :p 9 out of 10 people would name Goodman as the only one they know, who's most memorable contribution was a watered-down cover of a Louie Prima tune.
Hmmm. You're right about Herman being the first that people would mention, but jazz band leader/clarinet players were not exactly a dime a dozen. Kind of like flute players. Herbie Mann (jazz). Ian Anderson (rock). Other than that you're digging into the list classical musicians. :p

I would say that Herman's most memorable contribution would be the group First Herd. Ellington loved them & thought they were good, good enough to write tunes and arrangements for. "Woody N'You" is a great number that Ellington penned for the First Herd. Herman's own hit "Woodchopper's Ball" is fantastic. From a drummer's perspective, Woody's drummer Dave Tough was one of the best. In my humble opinion, much like Sonny Payne, Tough was one of the most fabulous & underrated drummers of that era.

PS - John Coltrane played the clarinet. ;)

I meet pete before he lived in the same town as me and got his medicine from the pharmacy I worked at.

MisterE":n5loc41x said:
I think Benny Goodman was actually bigger than Herman during the swing era. Sing Sin Sing was his big hit.
Yep. That's what I was getting at. Did I say Herman earlier when I meant Goodman? Nope. D&B had me a little confused.
Ask most folks to name a jazz clarinet player and they'll say Benny Goodman and hum a few bars of "Sing Sing Sing" without realizing that it was a Louie Prima song. Other mis-attributed tunes: David Lee Roth's "Just a Gigilo" and The Brian Setzer Orchestra's "Jump Jive and Wail", both written and recorded decades earlier by Prima.

For the record, I really have nothing against the clarinet. I was just playing along with these spin-offs. :p My neighbor's son ,Gabriel, IS learning to play, though, and I wish him luck with it. He's a great kid. When he gets a little better, I might just polish up my old trombone and play along with him.

With this sudden flood of absurd spin-off threads I have to wonder:
On a scale of one to ten, how confused is Monbla right now? :p