Refurb: GBD 9438 Fantasy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I picked up another GBD 9438, in "Fantasy" finish via Ebay. I stole some time this past week end to restore the pipe. The bowl top took a little work and it was Everclear/salt soaked. It took a while to work out some tooth waves on the stem, but it came out pretty nice. I smoked it yesterday and I was surprised to find no ghost, just a great smoking pipe. I bought it with the intent of reselling, but now it's a keeper and will join my other GBD's on the rack.

Before:

After:

All three of my GBD Rhodesians. A Colossus Seventy Six #9676, a 9438 Tapestry and the new 9438 Fantasy.

Great find and resto, sir. The trio look good together. Very representative of the line. 8)

we have to quit looking at the same pipes on ebay. You have them looking good. My hat is off to you.

plumbernater":nfqkbbos said:
we have to quit looking at the same pipes on ebay. You have them looking good. My hat is off to you.
They smoke so darn nicely, its hard....and thank you!

riff raff":cv01ut1u said:
I picked up another GBD 9438, in "Fantasy" finish via Ebay. I stole some time this past week end to restore the pipe. The bowl top took a little work and it was Everclear/salt soaked. It took a while to work out some tooth waves on the stem, but it came out pretty nice. I smoked it yesterday and I was surprised to find no ghost, just a great smoking pipe. I bought it with the intent of reselling, but now it's a keeper and will join my other GBD's on the rack.
http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/48958/2652320050062237293S500x500Q85.jpg[/img:cv01ut1u]http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/48958/2652320050062237293S500x500Q85.jpg[/img][/URL][/url]

All three of my GBD Rhodesians. A Colossus Seventy Six #9676, a 9438 Tapestry and the new 9438 Fantasy.

Nice work!! You could put together a collection of JUST THAT style of GBD in all the variations they made it in :p

Great find...

Great job on the refurb...

Awesome collection! Thanks for sharing Al.

MisterE":slqrl1wh said:
Great work riffraff! The one with the Perspex stem is especially nice! :cheers:
Thanks, that one was equally crusty. It a "Seventy Six" Colussus #9676 and a gift from a pipe buddy on another forum. The Seventy Six line was released to celebrate the Bicentennial in 1976. I don't think I've ever seen another on a forum, Ebay or other online vendors. It is huge, at 90 grams and one of the larger/heavier pipes in my collection. As such, it doesn't get smoked that often, but it is gorgeous to look at.

Impressive before and after. Very good refurb job. Looks like a very nice GBD from a classic era. Well done to you SIR!! :cheers:

Thanks, I have it with me this evening on a work trip. A perfect travel pipe. My GBD's all smoke quite well, but this one might just be the best of my lot.

Wow that is a sweet piece. I just picked up my first GBD on Ebay but yours is a little sweeter. Well done.

Well done, sir! I love them GBD's

I have a 9488 New Standard pot with square shank and sadle bit. Been wondering how old it can be? Any idea?

They are tricky to date. Generally pre-Cadogan (prior to '81 has the brass rondell and "London England".