Refurb - Partial Rustication of a BC Supermate Major

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I'd post my latest refurb - a Butz-Choquin Supermate Major. This estate pipe had suffered a broken shank and a clumsy subsequent repair. It had also had its button and stampings buffed nearly off.

A fun refurb with a few unexpected twists and turns along the way. Full write-up and pics are on my blog at DadsPipes

monbla256":p1lr1p8m said:
THAT'S an AMAZING piece of work !! :twisted: :twisted:
Thanks very much, monbla! I had originally thought this one might be a simple clean-up, but the universe had other plans. ;)

Brewdude":un5yi6yy said:
Amazing refurb brother! Looks like you have this well in hand!

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Thanks, RR. I learn a bit more each time. Every pipe seems to present unique challenges and rewards.

Your rustication is better than most; shoulda kept going, IMO. Nice "save," by the way.

Thanks for the kind comments, gents.

Richard - you can't see it in the pic I posted here, but the bowl has a nice "cats-eye" grain swirl in the front that I just couldn't bring myself to cover over with the rustication. Just looked through my pictures and oddly I don't have a head-on shot of this pipe. Will try to take one later & post.

I don't believe anyone would ever know the shank was repaired unless you told them. Great job! :)

AJ

ontariopiper":uadypxsd said:
Thomas Tkach":uadypxsd said:
Nice sandblast! ;)
Thanks, but no sandblast on this one. That was done with a Dremel.  :)
That was a good-natured poke at a member here who has a penchant for calling rustication sand-blasting (hence the winky face).

Thomas Tkach":ucwzmz02 said:
ontariopiper":ucwzmz02 said:
Thomas Tkach":ucwzmz02 said:
Nice sandblast! ;)
Thanks, but no sandblast on this one. That was done with a Dremel.  :)
That was a good-natured poke at a member here who has a penchant for calling rustication sand-blasting (hence the winky face).
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks :lol:

Another great repair and restoration effort. Very well done sir!

:cheers:

juanmedusa":meatsak8 said:
It kind of has a vintage Brigham vibe now? Maybe? Very nice.
Good eye, juanmedusa! I actually patterned this pipe's rustication after an 80's Brigham Canadian in my collection. Gold Star for you! :cheers:

Since I got my (modern) Brigham I've been paying much closer attention to them. I bought mine just to see about them and I'm satisfied with it. It's funny because I first saw them at a pipe show a few years back and it seemed to me, ignorantly, at the time as a new sort of product. Obviously they go well back. They have a charisma I'm starting to appreciate.

juanmedusa":ysqdohli said:
Since I got my (modern) Brigham I've been paying much closer attention to them. I bought mine just to see about them and I'm satisfied with it. It's funny because I first saw them at a pipe show a few years back and it seemed to me, ignorantly, at the time as a new sort of product. Obviously they go well back. They have a charisma I'm starting to appreciate.
I do like the Brighams. I've got about 8 or 9 of them now. Some smoke better than others for me, but all of them smoke dry - it's hard to beat the rock maple filter, IMHO.