Rehydrating Dry Cigar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
The rehydrating is going well. If I remember correctly, you give the cigar a bit of a squeeze to assess when it's done. If it doesn't give-too dry; gives a bit--good; gives significantly--too wet. Right?

I wouldn't squeeze it too hard , I have had a cigar with a dry wrapper crack like that before, specially if it is a delicate wrapper

Yeah, I've split a couple wrappers trying to gauge them. If you hold next to your ear and roll it between your fingers you can hear if it's still dry. It works for me anyway.

I hydrated the cigar for about 2 weeks but threw it out as it had begun to smell, not like a good cigar but something foul.

alfredo_buscatti":froqefkb said:
I hydrated the cigar for about 2 weeks but threw it out as it had begun to smell, not like a good cigar but something foul.
Every time I have tried to rehydrate a dried out cigar I end up with mold. :(

Dave_In_Philly":5hfmxqqt said:
alfredo_buscatti":5hfmxqqt said:
Every time I have tried to rehydrate a dried out cigar I end up with mold. :(
How do you guys rehydrate cigars?

In my experience, all you can do is place it in a properly working humidor for 6 months to 1 year. The outside hydrates faster than the inside so if you smoke it too soon the burn will tunnel very badly.

I consulted a cigar associate and he said to take a square of paper towel, put a drop or two of water on it; rehydrate; keep the container sealed. I did that. The smell didn't occur until 10 days into this routine.

The oils are what are primarily evaporating in a dry cigar. what we are doing when "re-hydrating"it is replacing the oils which add to the moisture of a cigars with water.

Once a cigar has become a dry tinder, you'll never be able to replace the flavor, as the oils are gone and you are replacing with tasteless water.

Dont let your sticks go below 60% an then re bound them up to 70% over and over. you lose oils not water in the process and the flavor will be lost. all the old timer cigar makers will tell you this. Look up some old articles.

ask me how I learned this over the past 25 years. i am no longer lazy with keeping cigars at proper RH.. lost lots of good sticks.

God speed