Rehydrating Tobacco - my method

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
Since I'm getting rid of all my dry tobacco I figured it might be a good idea to put this out there.

When my first tin of tobacco dried up on me, someone on another forum recommended the basic method that I still use to day. Dump the dry tobacco into a cereal bowl, then place a paper-towel soaked in distilled water over top. As the towel dries the tobacco rehydrates. I have since modified this technique ever so slightly.

Instead of just laying the towel over the bowl, or rubber banding it to the bowl, I found that if you use these guys you get much better results. I just dump the tobacco into the container, stretch a wet towel over the top and put the lid on. The lid holds the towel taught so it doesn't drop onto tobacco, and the seal allows the tobacco the rehydrate much quicker than it would otherwise. The disposable Rubbermaid containers work so well because their rim is rounded so they don't tear the towel the way the non-disposable containers do.

Hope this helps.

A simple yet solid tip. Thanks!

Those disposable containers are handy for all sorts of things.

I do pretty much the same for my jarred stuff, except, I cut a strip of paper towel 1 inch by 2 inches long, soak it , and throw it in the jar.
I check it every day , and rewet it as it needs, till I get the moisture where I want.

But, the tobacco I put in a tin , to smoke for a few days , will get dry, at around day 4, so then I throw a fresh moist flake of FVF or somethin in there overnight.
It seems like it all evens out to where its perfect, and I dont have to dry a flake .