rehydrating tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's loads of good info here on BoB about re-hydrating dry baccy.

One technique I've used successfully is this-

Put the toby in a bowl and spread it out to a more or less uniform thickness.

Get a plain white washcloth or towel (gotta be white), moisten with distilled H2O (like from a spritzer bottle), do not oversaturate!

Place over bowl, making sure the cloth does not touch the toby.

Leave for say 4-8 hrs. Take off cloth and check for moistness. Repeat as necessary.

This has worked really well for me on the rare occasions I've had to rehydrate crispy baccy. Of course the question is always "what would it have been like before it lost all it's moisture and aroma constituents"?

Can't answer that. Only can tell you this technique works for me.

HTH

:sunny: 

Cheers,

RR

This is how I do it for small batches of baccy. Moisturizing a little Bill Bailey's Balkan right now...

Ziplock container with a damp paper towel (distilled water only) draped over the top with the lid on. Do not let the towel touch the tobacco. Let it sit overnight. The next day open the lid and gently mix the baccy with your hand and jar it up. Small batches, no more than 1 oz or a little more at a time is key to success with this. If you have more than an ounce of tobacco to rehydrate just get more Ziplock/Glad containers and parse it out, they're dirt cheap and stack nicely for the next go around.

I use a sealable tray (Tupperware), a piece of sponge (2" x 2"), and distiller water. The wet sponge on one side, tobacco on the other, and seal container for a couple of hours. Works great.

All excellent replies above, please do ensure you do not use straight tap water, if you have any doubts take a look at tap water and distilled water under a microscope, you'll see exactly why folk are saying to use distilled water, distilled water is far from perfect but it is as close as we can get it.  :sunny: