Rehydrating Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutshot

Reaction score
Have you ever taken a tin of tobacco that was dried out and mixed it with a fresh tin of the same blend to rehydrate it and if so what were the end results. I seems to me that most "fresh" tins are slightly on the moist side and need some air before smoking and it should work to mix it with the dry tobacco. What do you all think?

I did that once with some bulk I bought. I mixed it all together, let it sit about two weeks in a freezer bag, then started smoking it like i had good sense and it has been good, good, good. I think it should work the same for You.

I've never done it with tins, only bulks; but the process is the same. I use glass jars, however; not freezer bags. FTRPLT

My uncle used to take dry tobacco, spread it out, spray it with a fine mist of distilled water, and put it away. It always worked just fine. Anyone ever hear of this?

I generally will have a disc with distilled water and put in a zip-loc bag and the tobacco will come back to life

I generally use on of two methods, depending on how dry the blend is and how quickly I want to re-hydrate it. For very dry blends and/or quicker results, I mist LIGHTLY with distilled water, a little goes a long ways.

The other method is the one advocated by Greg Pease: put the tobacco in a large mixing bowl and cover with a moist towel. The towel MUST NOT touch the tobacco. The length of time and moistness of the towel depends on how dry the tobacco is.

Both of these methods have worked very well for me.

Smokey

Greg Pease's method is to put the tobacco into a clean bowl(I use stainless steel) and cover is with a clean fairly damp towel. This slowly rehydrates without having to put water directly on the tobacco. I find that 24hours is about perfect for really dried out baccie but you should try to check it every few hours until it's to you liking.

cutshot":im46zj3e said:
What happens if the towel touches the tobacco?
The very fabric of space time is torn.

Or perhaps, I dunno, mold or something. I'm more of a mist the dry stuff in a jar kind of guy.

-Andrew

smokey422":k16vlaee said:
I generally use on of two methods, depending on how dry the blend is and how quickly I want to re-hydrate it. For very dry blends and/or quicker results, I mist LIGHTLY with distilled water, a little goes a long ways.

The other method is the one advocated by Greg Pease: put the tobacco in a large mixing bowl and cover with a moist towel. The towel MUST NOT touch the tobacco. The length of time and moistness of the towel depends on how dry the tobacco is.

Both of these methods have worked very well for me.

Smokey
These are the two methods that I use and have had excellent results. If the tobacco is dry to a tinder I use Greg's method. At Feb.'s meeting of the NY Pipe Club I picked up a tin of Bohemian Scandal that had one bowls worth removed as the gentleman tried it but did not like it. He sold it to me for $15 bucks! It was as dry as tinder so I placed (spread) the tobacco in a bowl and covered it with a rung out damp towel. I left it for 24 hours, checking every few hours (I did this over a Sat. & Sun.). After the alotted time frame, my Bohemian Scandal was as fresh as the day it was tinned - it was amazing!.

These two methods work. Just remember if you mist, you must use distilled water.

Lou

cutshot":yayrlii1 said:
What happens if the towel touches the tobacco?
...there is a chance that the tobacco can grow moldy. That is why if you use the mist method, you must use distilled water, it is purified from any impurities. Tap water is not and can contribute to mold growth.

Lou