Rehydration of dried out baccy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarterHallJunkie

Reaction score
Hey folks - I have some tobacco that has dried out a bit and is smoking very hot.

It has been stored in ziploc's.

What is the best method to re hydrate?

Have never done this before.

Frank

First off, unless you're going to smoke each blend within a month at the most, you should jar it. My preferred method of rehydration is by the bowl. This is done by loading your pipe, cupping your hand around the bowl, and breathing into the bowl 4-6 times. In most cases that should add enough moisture without causing lighting or burning problems. I wonder if you're not smoking too fast, since I smoke my blends very dry, but never have issues with it biting or burning hot.

I've read it in some of the books I've gotten recently that "rehydrating" tobacco that has gone bone dry will never bring it back to its original state...I haven't had to do that, but being where I am, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Do a google search on "Rehydration of tobacco", cursor down til you find the listing from www.pipesmagazine.com, should take you to a fine column written by Bob Tate which desribes several methods.
There are also several YouTube videos out there that show the bowl/wet towel method.

Ive had alot of luck with the bowl and damp towel method.

I wait for a humid day.Take my dried tobacco and put in a quart jar and cover with paper towel under the ring.Leave the lid out.Set it in a shaded and wind blocked spot out side.In a couple of hours it will have absorbed enough moisture from the air to make it good again.
I grew up on a farm in Franklin Co.Ky.We raised about 25 acres of burley a year.After curing for about 6-8 weeks we would wait for a wet weather system to come through.Usually as fog or rain,to put the barn in "case".
The tobacco leaf on the stalk would be very flexible.Like a damp rag.
Grampa always took about 10 to 15 stalks of this and stripped it for his own use.He smoked it mixed with PA,and mixed it with his work horse chewing tobacco.He was a tough old feller.

tiltjlp":9yechp2c said:
First off, unless you're going to smoke each blend within a month at the most, you should jar it.
Is any type of glass jar with a tight fitting lid okay - and is the same method I should use to cellar tobacco for maturing?

Jimmy1973":0d5lpoyb said:
I grew up on a farm in Franklin Co.Ky.We raised about 25 acres of burley a year.After curing for about 6-8 weeks we would wait for a wet weather system to come through.Usually as fog or rain,to put the barn in "case".
I hear Franklin County is a great burley growing area. I have a friend on YouTube (One Man Smkoe) that shoots a lot of video of farms growing burley from that area.

Your grandpa sounds like my kinda guy!

shootist51":uiex3zyl said:
Do a google search on "Rehydration of tobacco", cursor down til you find the listing from www.pipesmagazine.com, should take you to a fine column written by Bob Tate which desribes several methods.
There are also several YouTube videos out there that show the bowl/wet towel method.
I always forget to look on YouTube for this kind of stuff. Thanks for the tip!

CarterHallJunkie":nnfcty0b said:
tiltjlp":nnfcty0b said:
First off, unless you're going to smoke each blend within a month at the most, you should jar it.
Is any type of glass jar with a tight fitting lid okay - and is the same method I should use to cellar tobacco for maturing?
Most people use mason/ball jars, but an air tight jar might be alright if you don't want it to age. I would just recommend you use a mason jar with a new lid. For both preservation and aging, whichever you choose to do. A 12 pack of jelly jars will run you under $7, so it's very inexpensive. Are you currently cellaring any tobacco?

CarterHallJunkie":iw6470ej said:
tiltjlp":iw6470ej said:
I always used Mason or Ball jars. And yes, that is the method used which will allow the tobacco to age.

Ok CHJ here is how I do it. put baccy in shallow plastic storage type container or bowl. Wet a clean cloth towel or paper towel with distilled water and wring it out. Lay the damp towel over the container/bowl , avoid touching the baccy with the towel. Let it sit from any where from a few hours to overnight. Remove the towel and the baccy is rehydrated. If its too damp let it dry until its to your likeing , then jar it up .

flytyer":g1duoj3i said:
Ok CHJ here is how I do it. put baccy in shallow plastic storage type container or bowl. Wet a clean cloth towel or paper towel with distilled water and wring it out. Lay the damp towel over the container/bowl , avoid touching the baccy with the towel. Let it sit from any where from a few hours to overnight. Remove the towel and the baccy is rehydrated. If its too damp let it dry until its to your likeing , then jar it up .
Thank you John - very helpful!

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow evening.

CarterHallJunkie said:
joshoowah said:
CarterHallJunkie":0kryxyx1 said:
tiltjlp":0kryxyx1 said:
Are you currently cellaring any tobacco?
I haven't started yet, but need to. Is there a specific method to the madness, or just put away tobacco that you want to mature in jars for leter use?

New to much of this as you might tell.
I am sure there are others here with different methods, but I will tell you what I do because it was how I was taught to do it. Simply buy some mason jars, clean the jars before use, and then let the jars air dry overnight. Next, put your loose tobacco in the jar and seal it (put the lid on and screw it on). Do not heat seal the jars. I know a lot of people do this, but it isn't necessary and is possibly harmful long term. You can fill the jar to the top, or leave some room for air. I recommend you leave a little room for air because it is vital in the aging process. Either way, there you have it. Jar it, close it, put it up.

Not sure if you know this either, but aromatics do not age well so avoid keeping those long term.